Jan 26, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at tonight’s nine games. As always, start times are Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Carolina @ NY Islanders
The Hurricanes are just one point out of the eighth spot with two less games played than their division rivals the Thrashers. The Islanders have been reasonably competitive lately, although the results have been just about the same (3-7-1 in their last 11 games).
Washington @ Atlanta
Things are looking shaky for both of these Southeast Division teams: Washington is trying to catch up to the Lightning while the Thrashers are in a tough spot to hold off the Hurricanes for a playoff spot. It’s a big one for both teams.
Florida @ Boston
The Bruins look to sweep their season series against the Panthers in this game while they also try to strengthen their limited lead in the Northeast Division tonight. Florida’s just trying to get back into the fold.
Edmonton @ Dallas
After going 7-0-1 in their last eight games, the Stars have allowed seven goals in each of their last two losses. Dallas has a chance to go into the All-Star Game on a good foot by beating the lowly Oilers.
New Jersey @ Detroit
The Devils are suddenly red-hot going into the All-Star break, but the Red Wings are going to make it tough for New Jersey to earn their fifth win a row.
Phoenix @ Colorado
This is a match between two solid but up-and-down teams who are currently in the West’s top eight but must scratch and claw to remain in that position.
Nashville @ Vancouver
Despite a Monday loss, the Predators are among the league’s hottest teams, with 10 wins in their last 13 games. They’ll need to play their best hockey as they visit the Canucks, the best team in the West.
St. Louis @ Calgary
The Flames are moving up the West standings while the Blues are quickly dropping out of the picture, but they’re both in about the same spot at this moment of time. It should be interesting to watch.
San Jose @ Los Angeles
This battle of California involves two teams that are currently out of the playoff picture, although both are looking better (the Sharks are on a four-game winning streak while the Kings won two in a row). Yet only one of the two can go into the break with a smile on their faces.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)