With Enstrom out of the All-Star Game, underrated Phoenix defenseman Keith Yandle gets the call to play
Jan 25, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
This morning the news of Thrashers defenseman Tobias Enstrom breaking his finger putting him out for 2-4 weeks and out of the All-Star Game on Sunday meant that a spot opened up in the game for another defenseman. The NHL wasted no time today in naming a replacement and chose wisely going with Phoenix blue liner Keith Yandle to take his spot.
This season, Yandle is Phoenix’s leading scorer with seven goals and 33 assists and has been one of the NHL’s better defensemen all year long. Yandle was a rather apparent snub when the players were announced for this year’s game but a glaring error is now fixed. For Yandle, it’s his first all-star selection.
As for the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft on Friday night, there’s ten defensemen in the draft pool right now thanks to Nick Lidstrom being named captain of one of the sides and Washington’s Mike Green named as an assistant captain of Eric Staal‘s team. With Yandle being a solid assist man on the blue line, expect both Lidstrom and Staal to be intrigued by his addition to the pool.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 27
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)