With Enstrom out of the All-Star Game, underrated Phoenix defenseman Keith Yandle gets the call to play
Jan 25, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
This morning the news of Thrashers defenseman Tobias Enstrom breaking his finger putting him out for 2-4 weeks and out of the All-Star Game on Sunday meant that a spot opened up in the game for another defenseman. The NHL wasted no time today in naming a replacement and chose wisely going with Phoenix blue liner Keith Yandle to take his spot.
This season, Yandle is Phoenix’s leading scorer with seven goals and 33 assists and has been one of the NHL’s better defensemen all year long. Yandle was a rather apparent snub when the players were announced for this year’s game but a glaring error is now fixed. For Yandle, it’s his first all-star selection.
As for the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft on Friday night, there’s ten defensemen in the draft pool right now thanks to Nick Lidstrom being named captain of one of the sides and Washington’s Mike Green named as an assistant captain of Eric Staal‘s team. With Yandle being a solid assist man on the blue line, expect both Lidstrom and Staal to be intrigued by his addition to the pool.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25