Jan 25, 2011, 1:21 AM EDT
In a game where it was meant to be a showdown to see who the top team in the Western Conference could be, the Vancouver Canucks served notice that they’re not to be trifled with. Vancouver delivered a 7-1 whooping of Dallas on the night they honored eight-year veteran and Canucks legend Thomas Gradin into the team’s ring of honor.
The Canucks nearly scored a goal for each year Gradin played in Vancouver and saw seven different goal scorers get on the board to do it. Henrik Sedin led the way with a goal and two assists. Ryan Kesler, Mikael Samuelsson, and Mason Raymond each had a goal and an assist while Alex Edler and Daniel Sedin had two assists.
Roberto Luongo’s night was a relatively quiet one making 24 saves to get the easy win. Brad Richards got Dallas’ lone goal as he made a beautiful fake-shot deke to beat Luongo for his 20th goal of the year. Kari Lehtonen was tonight’s victim in net making 26 saves on 33 shots before being pulled with under seven minutes to play. Andrew Raycroft played the final few minutes and made two saves.
Vancouver’s win makes them the first team to 30 wins this year and gives them 69 points on the year, tying them with Philadelphia for most points in the league. You may not see them much on TV here but Vancouver is a very dangerous team and well worth watching getting tremendous performances this season from both Henrik and Daniel Sedin as well as Ryan Kesler having the best season of his career.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)