Jan 25, 2011, 1:21 AM EST
In a game where it was meant to be a showdown to see who the top team in the Western Conference could be, the Vancouver Canucks served notice that they’re not to be trifled with. Vancouver delivered a 7-1 whooping of Dallas on the night they honored eight-year veteran and Canucks legend Thomas Gradin into the team’s ring of honor.
The Canucks nearly scored a goal for each year Gradin played in Vancouver and saw seven different goal scorers get on the board to do it. Henrik Sedin led the way with a goal and two assists. Ryan Kesler, Mikael Samuelsson, and Mason Raymond each had a goal and an assist while Alex Edler and Daniel Sedin had two assists.
Roberto Luongo’s night was a relatively quiet one making 24 saves to get the easy win. Brad Richards got Dallas’ lone goal as he made a beautiful fake-shot deke to beat Luongo for his 20th goal of the year. Kari Lehtonen was tonight’s victim in net making 26 saves on 33 shots before being pulled with under seven minutes to play. Andrew Raycroft played the final few minutes and made two saves.
Vancouver’s win makes them the first team to 30 wins this year and gives them 69 points on the year, tying them with Philadelphia for most points in the league. You may not see them much on TV here but Vancouver is a very dangerous team and well worth watching getting tremendous performances this season from both Henrik and Daniel Sedin as well as Ryan Kesler having the best season of his career.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)