Jan 25, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
The Thrashers are hanging on to the eighth spot in the East right now by a thread and with the pile of injuries they’ve dealt with it’s no wonder the opinion on their play has cooled off quite a bit. Today they get a bit more bad news finding out that all-star defenseman Tobias Enstrom will miss the next 2-4 weeks with a broken finger.
Enstrom’s emergence as not just an offensive force but also as one that’s more responsible in the defensive end of the ice is a credit to coach Craig Ramsay. For all the success teammate Dustin Byfuglien has had as a defenseman this year, Enstrom is worthy of equal praise for improving his game. His presence will be sorely missed in the Thrashers lineup. Enstrom is tied for first on the Thrashers in scoring with Byfuglien with eight goals and 33 assists.
Enstrom’s injury also means that he’s out for the All-Star Game this weekend. Enstrom was selected for his first appearance as an all-star and with his absence, an opening is there to be had on the blue line for either Team Staal or Team Lidstrom. We’d suspect that if the NHL selects a replacement for him rather than choosing from amongst the rookie group, we’ll see Phoenix’s Keith Yandle get a call to join in the festivities in Raleigh. Yandle is the Coyotes leading scorer with seven goals and 33 assists, good for 40 points.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 24
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)