Jan 25, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
The Thrashers are hanging on to the eighth spot in the East right now by a thread and with the pile of injuries they’ve dealt with it’s no wonder the opinion on their play has cooled off quite a bit. Today they get a bit more bad news finding out that all-star defenseman Tobias Enstrom will miss the next 2-4 weeks with a broken finger.
Enstrom’s emergence as not just an offensive force but also as one that’s more responsible in the defensive end of the ice is a credit to coach Craig Ramsay. For all the success teammate Dustin Byfuglien has had as a defenseman this year, Enstrom is worthy of equal praise for improving his game. His presence will be sorely missed in the Thrashers lineup. Enstrom is tied for first on the Thrashers in scoring with Byfuglien with eight goals and 33 assists.
Enstrom’s injury also means that he’s out for the All-Star Game this weekend. Enstrom was selected for his first appearance as an all-star and with his absence, an opening is there to be had on the blue line for either Team Staal or Team Lidstrom. We’d suspect that if the NHL selects a replacement for him rather than choosing from amongst the rookie group, we’ll see Phoenix’s Keith Yandle get a call to join in the festivities in Raleigh. Yandle is the Coyotes leading scorer with seven goals and 33 assists, good for 40 points.
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning 0
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 30
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)