Jan 25, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
The Thrashers are hanging on to the eighth spot in the East right now by a thread and with the pile of injuries they’ve dealt with it’s no wonder the opinion on their play has cooled off quite a bit. Today they get a bit more bad news finding out that all-star defenseman Tobias Enstrom will miss the next 2-4 weeks with a broken finger.
Enstrom’s emergence as not just an offensive force but also as one that’s more responsible in the defensive end of the ice is a credit to coach Craig Ramsay. For all the success teammate Dustin Byfuglien has had as a defenseman this year, Enstrom is worthy of equal praise for improving his game. His presence will be sorely missed in the Thrashers lineup. Enstrom is tied for first on the Thrashers in scoring with Byfuglien with eight goals and 33 assists.
Enstrom’s injury also means that he’s out for the All-Star Game this weekend. Enstrom was selected for his first appearance as an all-star and with his absence, an opening is there to be had on the blue line for either Team Staal or Team Lidstrom. We’d suspect that if the NHL selects a replacement for him rather than choosing from amongst the rookie group, we’ll see Phoenix’s Keith Yandle get a call to join in the festivities in Raleigh. Yandle is the Coyotes leading scorer with seven goals and 33 assists, good for 40 points.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)