Jan 25, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
TMZ Sports reports that 23-year-old forward Jason Bailey filed a law suit against the Anaheim Ducks organization for what he calls a “barrage of anti-Semitic, offensive and degrading verbal attacks.” The “damages” covered by he suit were not specified.
Bailey claims that he dealt with barbs about his Jewish heritage “from the moment” he joined Ducks’ former affiliate the Bakersfield Condors after Anaheim drafted him in the third round in 2005. (The Condors are now an affiliate for the Minnesota Wild.)
Bailey also alleges that he was forced to travel apart from the Condors and was given limited ice time because he is Jewish.
Update: Puck Daddy points out reports from Bakersfield Now that the Condors coaches were suspended in 2009 for the incidents.
While this is obviously at a point of conjecture – the Ducks did not respond to TMZ reporters – there is one bit of information in the story that could validate at least some of Bailey’s claims.
According to the documents, filed by Bailey’s powerhouse lawyer Keith Fink, Bailey complained to the Ducks about the hostile work environment — and the team reacted by instructing the coaches to pen apology letters to Bailey in which they both admitted to using hurtful language.
The Ducks eventually traded Bailey to the Ottawa Senators for Shawn Weller in 2009. As a member of the Binghamton Senators, Bailey scored zero points and compiled 11 penalty minutes in 17 games this season. (For his full career stats, click here.)
(Bailey’s photo via the Ottawa Senators official Web site.)
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)