Jan 25, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
TMZ Sports reports that 23-year-old forward Jason Bailey filed a law suit against the Anaheim Ducks organization for what he calls a “barrage of anti-Semitic, offensive and degrading verbal attacks.” The “damages” covered by he suit were not specified.
Bailey claims that he dealt with barbs about his Jewish heritage “from the moment” he joined Ducks’ former affiliate the Bakersfield Condors after Anaheim drafted him in the third round in 2005. (The Condors are now an affiliate for the Minnesota Wild.)
Bailey also alleges that he was forced to travel apart from the Condors and was given limited ice time because he is Jewish.
Update: Puck Daddy points out reports from Bakersfield Now that the Condors coaches were suspended in 2009 for the incidents.
While this is obviously at a point of conjecture – the Ducks did not respond to TMZ reporters – there is one bit of information in the story that could validate at least some of Bailey’s claims.
According to the documents, filed by Bailey’s powerhouse lawyer Keith Fink, Bailey complained to the Ducks about the hostile work environment — and the team reacted by instructing the coaches to pen apology letters to Bailey in which they both admitted to using hurtful language.
The Ducks eventually traded Bailey to the Ottawa Senators for Shawn Weller in 2009. As a member of the Binghamton Senators, Bailey scored zero points and compiled 11 penalty minutes in 17 games this season. (For his full career stats, click here.)
(Bailey’s photo via the Ottawa Senators official Web site.)
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)