Jan 25, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
TMZ Sports reports that 23-year-old forward Jason Bailey filed a law suit against the Anaheim Ducks organization for what he calls a “barrage of anti-Semitic, offensive and degrading verbal attacks.” The “damages” covered by he suit were not specified.
Bailey claims that he dealt with barbs about his Jewish heritage “from the moment” he joined Ducks’ former affiliate the Bakersfield Condors after Anaheim drafted him in the third round in 2005. (The Condors are now an affiliate for the Minnesota Wild.)
Bailey also alleges that he was forced to travel apart from the Condors and was given limited ice time because he is Jewish.
Update: Puck Daddy points out reports from Bakersfield Now that the Condors coaches were suspended in 2009 for the incidents.
While this is obviously at a point of conjecture – the Ducks did not respond to TMZ reporters – there is one bit of information in the story that could validate at least some of Bailey’s claims.
According to the documents, filed by Bailey’s powerhouse lawyer Keith Fink, Bailey complained to the Ducks about the hostile work environment — and the team reacted by instructing the coaches to pen apology letters to Bailey in which they both admitted to using hurtful language.
The Ducks eventually traded Bailey to the Ottawa Senators for Shawn Weller in 2009. As a member of the Binghamton Senators, Bailey scored zero points and compiled 11 penalty minutes in 17 games this season. (For his full career stats, click here.)
(Bailey’s photo via the Ottawa Senators official Web site.)
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)