Jan 25, 2011, 2:27 PM EST
If you’re a fan that spent a lot of time voting for your favorite Penguins superstars to be starters in the All-Star Game it’s been a rough week for you.
Yesterday it was announced officially, after initial reports surfaced, that Sidney Crosby would be missing the game because of his concussion issues. Today, the Penguins broke news that Evgeni Malkin would also miss the game thanks to a sinus infection he’s been dealing with of late. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma broke the news this morning.
“Evgeni Malkin was not out on the ice today and will not be in the game tonight,” Bylsma said. “He will also not be going to the All-Star Game this coming week due to the sinus infection, illness – he has symptoms that prevent him from going on the ice at this time. We’ll continue to keep him off the ice.”
Malkin’s missed the last couple of games and will miss tonight’s game in Pittsburgh against the Islanders. Malkin joins Crosby, Ales Hemsky, Jarome Iginla, Tobias Enstrom, and Jordan Eberle as players that were supposed to take part in All-Star Weekend but will now miss out thanks to either injury or excused absence.
Of those players, we’ve seen Iginla have a replacement named for him in Philadelphia’s Daniel Briere. Minnesota’s Martin Havlat will also apparently be joining the festivities in Raleigh as an injury replacement according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. As for everyone else, nothing has been announced as of yet but you’re looking at two forwards, one defenseman, and one rookie to fill vacancies. Names like John Tavares, Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, and Keith Yandle are making the rounds for discussion.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 15
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 11
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)