Jan 25, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
If you’re a fan that spent a lot of time voting for your favorite Penguins superstars to be starters in the All-Star Game it’s been a rough week for you.
Yesterday it was announced officially, after initial reports surfaced, that Sidney Crosby would be missing the game because of his concussion issues. Today, the Penguins broke news that Evgeni Malkin would also miss the game thanks to a sinus infection he’s been dealing with of late. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma broke the news this morning.
“Evgeni Malkin was not out on the ice today and will not be in the game tonight,” Bylsma said. “He will also not be going to the All-Star Game this coming week due to the sinus infection, illness – he has symptoms that prevent him from going on the ice at this time. We’ll continue to keep him off the ice.”
Malkin’s missed the last couple of games and will miss tonight’s game in Pittsburgh against the Islanders. Malkin joins Crosby, Ales Hemsky, Jarome Iginla, Tobias Enstrom, and Jordan Eberle as players that were supposed to take part in All-Star Weekend but will now miss out thanks to either injury or excused absence.
Of those players, we’ve seen Iginla have a replacement named for him in Philadelphia’s Daniel Briere. Minnesota’s Martin Havlat will also apparently be joining the festivities in Raleigh as an injury replacement according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. As for everyone else, nothing has been announced as of yet but you’re looking at two forwards, one defenseman, and one rookie to fill vacancies. Names like John Tavares, Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, and Keith Yandle are making the rounds for discussion.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)