Jan 25, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
If you’re a fan that spent a lot of time voting for your favorite Penguins superstars to be starters in the All-Star Game it’s been a rough week for you.
Yesterday it was announced officially, after initial reports surfaced, that Sidney Crosby would be missing the game because of his concussion issues. Today, the Penguins broke news that Evgeni Malkin would also miss the game thanks to a sinus infection he’s been dealing with of late. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma broke the news this morning.
“Evgeni Malkin was not out on the ice today and will not be in the game tonight,” Bylsma said. “He will also not be going to the All-Star Game this coming week due to the sinus infection, illness – he has symptoms that prevent him from going on the ice at this time. We’ll continue to keep him off the ice.”
Malkin’s missed the last couple of games and will miss tonight’s game in Pittsburgh against the Islanders. Malkin joins Crosby, Ales Hemsky, Jarome Iginla, Tobias Enstrom, and Jordan Eberle as players that were supposed to take part in All-Star Weekend but will now miss out thanks to either injury or excused absence.
Of those players, we’ve seen Iginla have a replacement named for him in Philadelphia’s Daniel Briere. Minnesota’s Martin Havlat will also apparently be joining the festivities in Raleigh as an injury replacement according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. As for everyone else, nothing has been announced as of yet but you’re looking at two forwards, one defenseman, and one rookie to fill vacancies. Names like John Tavares, Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, and Keith Yandle are making the rounds for discussion.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires