Jan 24, 2011, 10:50 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Sometimes the Save of the Night is a photo finish between the work of two great goalies (or at least two great video clips). This time around, the footage in question is so unusual and captivating that is an outright no-brainer.
Pekka Rinne dropped his stick during a frantic exchange in overtime, but it happened to be in the perfect spot to stop what would have been a game winning goal. When you combine the atypical nature of the “save” and the fact that they would have lost the game otherwise, it’s easy to give Rinne the nod.
In fact, the question might really be if it’s already the save of the week.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 12
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18