Jan 24, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
When Chris Pronger decided to nab the game puck after the Philadelphia Flyers lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals, people called him everything from a scamp to a scoundrel.
He’s probably still a scamp for doing so – chances are, ‘Hawks fans will continue to boo him like they did on Sunday – but it sounds like the goofy scenario might actually end up benefiting a good cause. Pronger told Frank Seravalli of Philly.com that he would be willing to auction the puck off to the highest bidder and then give the proceeds to the charity of that bidder’s choosing.
Pronger discussed the fact that he would probably put it up on eBay to do so, although he was then reminded that Chicago-based restaurant Harry Caray’s was willing to pay $50,000 for the controversial piece of sports memorabilia.
“I have it,” Pronger said. “It’s tucked away somewhere. It’ll wind up on eBay at some point. All proceeds will go to the person that buys its charity.”
Chicago won that game, 2-1, to take a 2-0 lead in the series. The Flyers went on to win the next two games at the Wells Fargo Center before Pronger tried to take the puck again after the Blackhawks’ win in Game 5.
Pronger made headlines as the puck thief, so much so that a Chicago establishment – Harry Caray’s, a restaurant named after the late Cubs broadcaster – publicly offered $50,000 for the puck Pronger swiped.
“If they want to give me 50-grand, I’ll donate it to charity,” Pronger said. “You get me their name and number and I’ll do it.”
It would be very cool if that silly scene ends up being more than a bit of in-series gamesmanship. We’ll let you know if that happens.
(Puck burglar illustration by Deven “Gray” Hoover from Couch Tarts.)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)