Jan 24, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
When Chris Pronger decided to nab the game puck after the Philadelphia Flyers lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals, people called him everything from a scamp to a scoundrel.
He’s probably still a scamp for doing so – chances are, ‘Hawks fans will continue to boo him like they did on Sunday – but it sounds like the goofy scenario might actually end up benefiting a good cause. Pronger told Frank Seravalli of Philly.com that he would be willing to auction the puck off to the highest bidder and then give the proceeds to the charity of that bidder’s choosing.
Pronger discussed the fact that he would probably put it up on eBay to do so, although he was then reminded that Chicago-based restaurant Harry Caray’s was willing to pay $50,000 for the controversial piece of sports memorabilia.
“I have it,” Pronger said. “It’s tucked away somewhere. It’ll wind up on eBay at some point. All proceeds will go to the person that buys its charity.”
Chicago won that game, 2-1, to take a 2-0 lead in the series. The Flyers went on to win the next two games at the Wells Fargo Center before Pronger tried to take the puck again after the Blackhawks’ win in Game 5.
Pronger made headlines as the puck thief, so much so that a Chicago establishment – Harry Caray’s, a restaurant named after the late Cubs broadcaster – publicly offered $50,000 for the puck Pronger swiped.
“If they want to give me 50-grand, I’ll donate it to charity,” Pronger said. “You get me their name and number and I’ll do it.”
It would be very cool if that silly scene ends up being more than a bit of in-series gamesmanship. We’ll let you know if that happens.
(Puck burglar illustration by Deven “Gray” Hoover from Couch Tarts.)
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)