Jan 24, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Evgeni Nabokov isn’t making many friends in the New York Islanders organization and he isn’t exactly earning a lot of respect in the hockey world either. Unless, of course, Nabokov hanging up on Isles general manager Garth Snow really was a misunderstanding.
Yet that seems to be the latest entry in this weekend’s surprising Nabokov soap opera, as NHL.com and other sources report that Snow tried to reach out personally to the netminder after hearing he wouldn’t report to the team from Nabby’s agent Don Meehan.
Ultimately, the back story all boils down to a “he said – he said” matter (albeit a rather amusing one at that). What really matters is whether Nabokov will have a change of heart or not. The Islanders listed him as a healthy scratch during their 5-3 loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday, so Snow and company aren’t necessarily forced to make a decision right away. Chris Botta writes that January 31st – the Monday after the All-Star Game – might be a good deadline for the team to decide whether or not to cut bait on Nabokov.
The chances of Nabokov reporting to the Islanders are pretty low, but we’ll let you know if anything changes As Nabokov Turns.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)