Jan 24, 2011, 11:53 AM EST
Evgeni Nabokov isn’t making many friends in the New York Islanders organization and he isn’t exactly earning a lot of respect in the hockey world either. Unless, of course, Nabokov hanging up on Isles general manager Garth Snow really was a misunderstanding.
Yet that seems to be the latest entry in this weekend’s surprising Nabokov soap opera, as NHL.com and other sources report that Snow tried to reach out personally to the netminder after hearing he wouldn’t report to the team from Nabby’s agent Don Meehan.
Ultimately, the back story all boils down to a “he said – he said” matter (albeit a rather amusing one at that). What really matters is whether Nabokov will have a change of heart or not. The Islanders listed him as a healthy scratch during their 5-3 loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday, so Snow and company aren’t necessarily forced to make a decision right away. Chris Botta writes that January 31st – the Monday after the All-Star Game – might be a good deadline for the team to decide whether or not to cut bait on Nabokov.
The chances of Nabokov reporting to the Islanders are pretty low, but we’ll let you know if anything changes As Nabokov Turns.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)