Jan 24, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
Evgeni Nabokov isn’t making many friends in the New York Islanders organization and he isn’t exactly earning a lot of respect in the hockey world either. Unless, of course, Nabokov hanging up on Isles general manager Garth Snow really was a misunderstanding.
Yet that seems to be the latest entry in this weekend’s surprising Nabokov soap opera, as NHL.com and other sources report that Snow tried to reach out personally to the netminder after hearing he wouldn’t report to the team from Nabby’s agent Don Meehan.
Ultimately, the back story all boils down to a “he said – he said” matter (albeit a rather amusing one at that). What really matters is whether Nabokov will have a change of heart or not. The Islanders listed him as a healthy scratch during their 5-3 loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday, so Snow and company aren’t necessarily forced to make a decision right away. Chris Botta writes that January 31st – the Monday after the All-Star Game – might be a good deadline for the team to decide whether or not to cut bait on Nabokov.
The chances of Nabokov reporting to the Islanders are pretty low, but we’ll let you know if anything changes As Nabokov Turns.
- Penner on goalie interference: ‘It takes a loaf of gall to make that call’ 0
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 5
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 25
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0