Jan 24, 2011, 11:53 AM EST
Evgeni Nabokov isn’t making many friends in the New York Islanders organization and he isn’t exactly earning a lot of respect in the hockey world either. Unless, of course, Nabokov hanging up on Isles general manager Garth Snow really was a misunderstanding.
Yet that seems to be the latest entry in this weekend’s surprising Nabokov soap opera, as NHL.com and other sources report that Snow tried to reach out personally to the netminder after hearing he wouldn’t report to the team from Nabby’s agent Don Meehan.
Ultimately, the back story all boils down to a “he said – he said” matter (albeit a rather amusing one at that). What really matters is whether Nabokov will have a change of heart or not. The Islanders listed him as a healthy scratch during their 5-3 loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday, so Snow and company aren’t necessarily forced to make a decision right away. Chris Botta writes that January 31st – the Monday after the All-Star Game – might be a good deadline for the team to decide whether or not to cut bait on Nabokov.
The chances of Nabokov reporting to the Islanders are pretty low, but we’ll let you know if anything changes As Nabokov Turns.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)