Jan 24, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
We knew it didn’t look good when Marc Savard left the Bruins game against Colorado on Saturday with a head injury and today the team’s worst fears were confirmed. Savard has been diagnosed with a moderate concussion following the huge hit he took from Avalanche defenseman Matt Hunwick that saw Savard get his head smacked against the glass, dropping Savard to the ice before needing help to the locker room.
Savard missed the start of this season with post-concussion syndrome thanks to the concussion he received on March 7, 2010 at the hands of Penguins agitator Matt Cooke. Cooke hit Savard with a blindside shot with his shoulder to Savard’s head knocking Savard out cold. Savard missed more than a month of action before questionably returning to action in the playoffs as the Bruins faced the Flyers in the second round. Savard’s return may have been premature though as he was feeling concussion symptoms this summer forcing him to miss training camp and the start of the season.
For Savard, this is a brutal blow and one that draws the spotlight on his career in a terrifying way. Considering the shape Savard was in following the hit from Cooke and his condition this summer and fall, it’s not unreasonable to think Savard may be out for a long time.
A lot of attention will be focused on the Bruins medical staff in how they handle things and how Savard can bounce back after this injury. If he’s unable to respond quickly to treatment this time around, as hard as it’ll be for him to shut it down, doing so for an extended period of time would be wise for his own health and potentially his career.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)