Jan 24, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
We knew it didn’t look good when Marc Savard left the Bruins game against Colorado on Saturday with a head injury and today the team’s worst fears were confirmed. Savard has been diagnosed with a moderate concussion following the huge hit he took from Avalanche defenseman Matt Hunwick that saw Savard get his head smacked against the glass, dropping Savard to the ice before needing help to the locker room.
Savard missed the start of this season with post-concussion syndrome thanks to the concussion he received on March 7, 2010 at the hands of Penguins agitator Matt Cooke. Cooke hit Savard with a blindside shot with his shoulder to Savard’s head knocking Savard out cold. Savard missed more than a month of action before questionably returning to action in the playoffs as the Bruins faced the Flyers in the second round. Savard’s return may have been premature though as he was feeling concussion symptoms this summer forcing him to miss training camp and the start of the season.
For Savard, this is a brutal blow and one that draws the spotlight on his career in a terrifying way. Considering the shape Savard was in following the hit from Cooke and his condition this summer and fall, it’s not unreasonable to think Savard may be out for a long time.
A lot of attention will be focused on the Bruins medical staff in how they handle things and how Savard can bounce back after this injury. If he’s unable to respond quickly to treatment this time around, as hard as it’ll be for him to shut it down, doing so for an extended period of time would be wise for his own health and potentially his career.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 5
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)