Jan 24, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
Here are previews for Monday’s six game set. As always, start times correspond to Eastern Standard time (ET).
Toronto @ Carolina
As the eighth place Thrashers flounder, the Hurricanes hope to usurp their division mates for a playoff spot. Perhaps the Maple Leafs feel that way too, but they need to make up quite a bit more ground than Carolina does.
NY Rangers @ Washington
The Capitals are looking to get revenge on the Rangers, who embarrassed them 7-0 as HBO’s cameras were rolling. It sounds like Alexander Semin is rounding back into shape to boot, although it is unclear when he’ll be back. Meanwhile the Rangers are a hearty bunch but are dealing with some serious injury issues so it a tough challenge will get that much more difficult tonight.
St. Louis @ Colorado
This is a good opportunity for the Avalanche to get back into the top eight of the West, as the weak-on-the-road Blues come to visit them in Colorado. They’ve already won five in a row against St. Louis, after all.
Nashville @ Calgary
Only one team holds more road wins than the Predators at this point in 2010-11: the league-leading Flyers. Nashville is absolutely on a roll, having won three in a row and 10 of their last 12 games. Calgary is also showing signs of life, having won two consecutive games.
Dallas @ Vancouver
Two division leaders square off in this one, as Western Conference/Northwest Division leading Vancouver hosts Pacific Division leader Dallas. They’re also among the hottest teams in the NHL, so this should be a high level game.
Boston @ Los Angeles
Perhaps both teams can break the ice by talking about how often Marco Sturm gets injured? They don’t see each other often, but both teams have a nice mix of veteran and young talent and coaches who fancy a defensive minded game.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)