Jan 24, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Here are previews for Monday’s six game set. As always, start times correspond to Eastern Standard time (ET).
Toronto @ Carolina
As the eighth place Thrashers flounder, the Hurricanes hope to usurp their division mates for a playoff spot. Perhaps the Maple Leafs feel that way too, but they need to make up quite a bit more ground than Carolina does.
NY Rangers @ Washington
The Capitals are looking to get revenge on the Rangers, who embarrassed them 7-0 as HBO’s cameras were rolling. It sounds like Alexander Semin is rounding back into shape to boot, although it is unclear when he’ll be back. Meanwhile the Rangers are a hearty bunch but are dealing with some serious injury issues so it a tough challenge will get that much more difficult tonight.
St. Louis @ Colorado
This is a good opportunity for the Avalanche to get back into the top eight of the West, as the weak-on-the-road Blues come to visit them in Colorado. They’ve already won five in a row against St. Louis, after all.
Nashville @ Calgary
Only one team holds more road wins than the Predators at this point in 2010-11: the league-leading Flyers. Nashville is absolutely on a roll, having won three in a row and 10 of their last 12 games. Calgary is also showing signs of life, having won two consecutive games.
Dallas @ Vancouver
Two division leaders square off in this one, as Western Conference/Northwest Division leading Vancouver hosts Pacific Division leader Dallas. They’re also among the hottest teams in the NHL, so this should be a high level game.
Boston @ Los Angeles
Perhaps both teams can break the ice by talking about how often Marco Sturm gets injured? They don’t see each other often, but both teams have a nice mix of veteran and young talent and coaches who fancy a defensive minded game.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)