Jan 23, 2011, 3:59 AM EST
If nothing else, the shootout is good for providing conversation fodder and tonight’s shootout in Vancouver will certainly bring the discussion out in spades.
Calgary’s Alex Tanguay appeared to be denied on his bid to win the game in the shootout as he put his shot right into the pads of Roberto Luongo. The problem here being that Luongo in his efforts to stop the puck slid across the goal line. The official ruled it no-goal on the ice, but the call went to replay.
On the video, there was no way to see the puck underneath the pads nor where it was truly located and it was assumed that the puck had crossed the line while it was caught up in Luongo’s pads. The call was changed to a goal and the Flames won the game 4-3.
While the call was correct and logical, it’s stunning to see logic factor into a replay decision. The infuriating thing with NHL replay is that you never really know what you’re going to get which puts it in stark contrast with replay in the NFL where you pretty much know which way the call is going to go no matter what once a play is reviewed.
What do you think though? Should they have counted this as a goal? Have a look at the replay and see for yourself.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)