Jan 23, 2011, 3:59 AM EDT
If nothing else, the shootout is good for providing conversation fodder and tonight’s shootout in Vancouver will certainly bring the discussion out in spades.
Calgary’s Alex Tanguay appeared to be denied on his bid to win the game in the shootout as he put his shot right into the pads of Roberto Luongo. The problem here being that Luongo in his efforts to stop the puck slid across the goal line. The official ruled it no-goal on the ice, but the call went to replay.
On the video, there was no way to see the puck underneath the pads nor where it was truly located and it was assumed that the puck had crossed the line while it was caught up in Luongo’s pads. The call was changed to a goal and the Flames won the game 4-3.
While the call was correct and logical, it’s stunning to see logic factor into a replay decision. The infuriating thing with NHL replay is that you never really know what you’re going to get which puts it in stark contrast with replay in the NFL where you pretty much know which way the call is going to go no matter what once a play is reviewed.
What do you think though? Should they have counted this as a goal? Have a look at the replay and see for yourself.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)