Jan 23, 2011, 3:59 AM EDT
If nothing else, the shootout is good for providing conversation fodder and tonight’s shootout in Vancouver will certainly bring the discussion out in spades.
Calgary’s Alex Tanguay appeared to be denied on his bid to win the game in the shootout as he put his shot right into the pads of Roberto Luongo. The problem here being that Luongo in his efforts to stop the puck slid across the goal line. The official ruled it no-goal on the ice, but the call went to replay.
On the video, there was no way to see the puck underneath the pads nor where it was truly located and it was assumed that the puck had crossed the line while it was caught up in Luongo’s pads. The call was changed to a goal and the Flames won the game 4-3.
While the call was correct and logical, it’s stunning to see logic factor into a replay decision. The infuriating thing with NHL replay is that you never really know what you’re going to get which puts it in stark contrast with replay in the NFL where you pretty much know which way the call is going to go no matter what once a play is reviewed.
What do you think though? Should they have counted this as a goal? Have a look at the replay and see for yourself.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 12
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 59
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional