Jan 23, 2011, 3:59 AM EDT
If nothing else, the shootout is good for providing conversation fodder and tonight’s shootout in Vancouver will certainly bring the discussion out in spades.
Calgary’s Alex Tanguay appeared to be denied on his bid to win the game in the shootout as he put his shot right into the pads of Roberto Luongo. The problem here being that Luongo in his efforts to stop the puck slid across the goal line. The official ruled it no-goal on the ice, but the call went to replay.
On the video, there was no way to see the puck underneath the pads nor where it was truly located and it was assumed that the puck had crossed the line while it was caught up in Luongo’s pads. The call was changed to a goal and the Flames won the game 4-3.
While the call was correct and logical, it’s stunning to see logic factor into a replay decision. The infuriating thing with NHL replay is that you never really know what you’re going to get which puts it in stark contrast with replay in the NFL where you pretty much know which way the call is going to go no matter what once a play is reviewed.
What do you think though? Should they have counted this as a goal? Have a look at the replay and see for yourself.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)