Jan 23, 2011, 3:20 PM EST
If Jonathan Toews fails to top 2010 in the rest of his hockey career, he still won’t have anything to be ashamed of. That’s because few hockey players could ever even dream of experiencing the kind of 12 months that the Chicago Blackhawks’ young captain enjoyed.
While he didn’t produce the Olympic moment that Sidney Crosby did, Toews was voted one of the best forwards of the 2010 Vancouver Games. He played beyond his years for Team Canada, helping the talented group fight through the intense pressure of winning a gold medal on their own soil.
Toews didn’t settle for international glory alone, though, as he helped the Blackhawks win the Central Division before earning a Conn Smythe as the team won their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
To put a cherry on top of that great year, Toews became the cover star of NHL ’11, the sport’s most popular video games series.
NBC spoke with “Captain Serious” about his seriously amazing year before the Game of the Week between the Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Check out his thoughts in the video below.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)