Jan 23, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT
If Jonathan Toews fails to top 2010 in the rest of his hockey career, he still won’t have anything to be ashamed of. That’s because few hockey players could ever even dream of experiencing the kind of 12 months that the Chicago Blackhawks’ young captain enjoyed.
While he didn’t produce the Olympic moment that Sidney Crosby did, Toews was voted one of the best forwards of the 2010 Vancouver Games. He played beyond his years for Team Canada, helping the talented group fight through the intense pressure of winning a gold medal on their own soil.
Toews didn’t settle for international glory alone, though, as he helped the Blackhawks win the Central Division before earning a Conn Smythe as the team won their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
To put a cherry on top of that great year, Toews became the cover star of NHL ’11, the sport’s most popular video games series.
NBC spoke with “Captain Serious” about his seriously amazing year before the Game of the Week between the Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Check out his thoughts in the video below.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)