Jan 23, 2011, 3:20 PM EST
If Jonathan Toews fails to top 2010 in the rest of his hockey career, he still won’t have anything to be ashamed of. That’s because few hockey players could ever even dream of experiencing the kind of 12 months that the Chicago Blackhawks’ young captain enjoyed.
While he didn’t produce the Olympic moment that Sidney Crosby did, Toews was voted one of the best forwards of the 2010 Vancouver Games. He played beyond his years for Team Canada, helping the talented group fight through the intense pressure of winning a gold medal on their own soil.
Toews didn’t settle for international glory alone, though, as he helped the Blackhawks win the Central Division before earning a Conn Smythe as the team won their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
To put a cherry on top of that great year, Toews became the cover star of NHL ’11, the sport’s most popular video games series.
NBC spoke with “Captain Serious” about his seriously amazing year before the Game of the Week between the Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Check out his thoughts in the video below.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)