Jan 23, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT
If Jonathan Toews fails to top 2010 in the rest of his hockey career, he still won’t have anything to be ashamed of. That’s because few hockey players could ever even dream of experiencing the kind of 12 months that the Chicago Blackhawks’ young captain enjoyed.
While he didn’t produce the Olympic moment that Sidney Crosby did, Toews was voted one of the best forwards of the 2010 Vancouver Games. He played beyond his years for Team Canada, helping the talented group fight through the intense pressure of winning a gold medal on their own soil.
Toews didn’t settle for international glory alone, though, as he helped the Blackhawks win the Central Division before earning a Conn Smythe as the team won their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
To put a cherry on top of that great year, Toews became the cover star of NHL ’11, the sport’s most popular video games series.
NBC spoke with “Captain Serious” about his seriously amazing year before the Game of the Week between the Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Check out his thoughts in the video below.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12