Jan 23, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT
If Jonathan Toews fails to top 2010 in the rest of his hockey career, he still won’t have anything to be ashamed of. That’s because few hockey players could ever even dream of experiencing the kind of 12 months that the Chicago Blackhawks’ young captain enjoyed.
While he didn’t produce the Olympic moment that Sidney Crosby did, Toews was voted one of the best forwards of the 2010 Vancouver Games. He played beyond his years for Team Canada, helping the talented group fight through the intense pressure of winning a gold medal on their own soil.
Toews didn’t settle for international glory alone, though, as he helped the Blackhawks win the Central Division before earning a Conn Smythe as the team won their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
To put a cherry on top of that great year, Toews became the cover star of NHL ’11, the sport’s most popular video games series.
NBC spoke with “Captain Serious” about his seriously amazing year before the Game of the Week between the Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Check out his thoughts in the video below.
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 51
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12