Jan 23, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
One of the go-to responses when a person asks you about a black eye is to say, “You should see the other guy.”
Yet judging battle wounds isn’t always the best way to determine a winner when it comes to an NHL fight. Philadelphia Flyers ultra-pest Dan Carcillo ended up bloody after a fight with the Chicago Blackhawks forward Jake Dowell, yet 92.3 percent of the Hockey Fights audience thought that Carcillo was the winner. (Note: that number will probably chance since the poll is ongoing.)
On first blush, it seemed like it might not be a fair match because of Carcillo’s experience. After all, Carcillo has been a regular penalty minute leader in the NHL, with seasons that included 22, 19 and 17 fighting majors. Yet Dowell isn’t a lightweight either, with an AHL campaign that included 14. Both players are also nearly the same size, so it’s not like Dowell was taking on a guy with a 20 lbs. weight advantage.
So take a look at this rugged and shaggy exchange of fisticuffs and decide for yourself if Carcillo really won the fight after all.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 14
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 32
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11