Jan 23, 2011, 11:20 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have quietly positioned themselves as one of the hottest teams in hockey as they defeated the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 thanks to a Cody Franson shootout goal. Barry Trotz’s bunch are now on a three game winning streak and won 10 of their last 12 games.
It’s not like the Predators are taking advantage of a Lightning-like homestand, either. They are now four games deep into their six-game road trip, earning three games in that span.
Alexander Sulzer and Joel Ward scored for Nashville while Taylor Hall and Andrew Cogliano provided Edmonton’s goals. Pekka Rinne and Devan Dubynk both allowed two regulation goals, with Rinne making 22 stops and Dubnyk earning 26 saves.
The Predators are in a great position to hold onto a playoff spot and might even have a chance to take the Central Division lead from the Detroit Red Wings. Nashville played 28 road games versus only 20 at home so far and only trail the Red Wings by four points and two wins at the moment. Considering Detroit’s injury issues, the Preds could put some serious heat on their division rivals.
Meanwhile the Oilers are on a five game skid, leaving them dangerously close to the very bottom of the NHL considering the fact that the New Jersey Devils are suddenly heating up and the fact that the New York Islanders are sporadically spunky.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)