Jan 23, 2011, 11:20 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have quietly positioned themselves as one of the hottest teams in hockey as they defeated the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 thanks to a Cody Franson shootout goal. Barry Trotz’s bunch are now on a three game winning streak and won 10 of their last 12 games.
It’s not like the Predators are taking advantage of a Lightning-like homestand, either. They are now four games deep into their six-game road trip, earning three games in that span.
Alexander Sulzer and Joel Ward scored for Nashville while Taylor Hall and Andrew Cogliano provided Edmonton’s goals. Pekka Rinne and Devan Dubynk both allowed two regulation goals, with Rinne making 22 stops and Dubnyk earning 26 saves.
The Predators are in a great position to hold onto a playoff spot and might even have a chance to take the Central Division lead from the Detroit Red Wings. Nashville played 28 road games versus only 20 at home so far and only trail the Red Wings by four points and two wins at the moment. Considering Detroit’s injury issues, the Preds could put some serious heat on their division rivals.
Meanwhile the Oilers are on a five game skid, leaving them dangerously close to the very bottom of the NHL considering the fact that the New Jersey Devils are suddenly heating up and the fact that the New York Islanders are sporadically spunky.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)