Jan 23, 2011, 11:20 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have quietly positioned themselves as one of the hottest teams in hockey as they defeated the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 thanks to a Cody Franson shootout goal. Barry Trotz’s bunch are now on a three game winning streak and won 10 of their last 12 games.
It’s not like the Predators are taking advantage of a Lightning-like homestand, either. They are now four games deep into their six-game road trip, earning three games in that span.
Alexander Sulzer and Joel Ward scored for Nashville while Taylor Hall and Andrew Cogliano provided Edmonton’s goals. Pekka Rinne and Devan Dubynk both allowed two regulation goals, with Rinne making 22 stops and Dubnyk earning 26 saves.
The Predators are in a great position to hold onto a playoff spot and might even have a chance to take the Central Division lead from the Detroit Red Wings. Nashville played 28 road games versus only 20 at home so far and only trail the Red Wings by four points and two wins at the moment. Considering Detroit’s injury issues, the Preds could put some serious heat on their division rivals.
Meanwhile the Oilers are on a five game skid, leaving them dangerously close to the very bottom of the NHL considering the fact that the New Jersey Devils are suddenly heating up and the fact that the New York Islanders are sporadically spunky.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)