Jan 23, 2011, 11:20 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have quietly positioned themselves as one of the hottest teams in hockey as they defeated the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 thanks to a Cody Franson shootout goal. Barry Trotz’s bunch are now on a three game winning streak and won 10 of their last 12 games.
It’s not like the Predators are taking advantage of a Lightning-like homestand, either. They are now four games deep into their six-game road trip, earning three games in that span.
Alexander Sulzer and Joel Ward scored for Nashville while Taylor Hall and Andrew Cogliano provided Edmonton’s goals. Pekka Rinne and Devan Dubynk both allowed two regulation goals, with Rinne making 22 stops and Dubnyk earning 26 saves.
The Predators are in a great position to hold onto a playoff spot and might even have a chance to take the Central Division lead from the Detroit Red Wings. Nashville played 28 road games versus only 20 at home so far and only trail the Red Wings by four points and two wins at the moment. Considering Detroit’s injury issues, the Preds could put some serious heat on their division rivals.
Meanwhile the Oilers are on a five game skid, leaving them dangerously close to the very bottom of the NHL considering the fact that the New Jersey Devils are suddenly heating up and the fact that the New York Islanders are sporadically spunky.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)