Jan 23, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
The Flyers came into this game tied for the best record in the NHL while the Blackhawks are the defending Stanley Cup champions. The Flyers showed how much can change in a year as they controlled the game and took out Chicago 4-1 at United Center. Jeff Carter scored two goals and assisted on a third to lead the way for the Flyers as they were able to get a little bit of payback against the Blackhawks for last year’s finals.
Carter’s goal 49 seconds into the second period got the Flyers out fast after a scoreless first period. Claude Giroux was originally credited with the goal but he instead earned an assist on the play. Giroux finished the game with three assists assisting on both of Carter’s tallies, including a beautiful saucer pass to Carter on a goal he batted out of the air and past Corey Crawford to make it 3-0. Crawford finished the game with 30 saves.
Sergei Bobrovsky was brilliant in goal for the Flyers winning his 20th game of the year stopping 30 of 31 shots he saw. The lone Blackhawks goal came in the third period on a Marian Hossa penalty shot. Philly’s Braydon Coburn covered the puck in the crease and was busted for it leading to the call. The penalty shot goal for the Blackhawks was their first at home since 1987. The Hawks fans enjoyed it but it would be the only joy they’d have once Scott Hartnell iced the game with an empty net goal.
For Philly, the win is their ninth in 11 games as they continue to pad their lead in the Eastern Conference. For Chicago, they’re unable to slide up the standings in the Western Conference as they could’ve passed Phoenix and tied Nashville and Anaheim for fourth in the West.
Here’s the video highlights of today’s game.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 16
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)