Jan 23, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
The Flyers came into this game tied for the best record in the NHL while the Blackhawks are the defending Stanley Cup champions. The Flyers showed how much can change in a year as they controlled the game and took out Chicago 4-1 at United Center. Jeff Carter scored two goals and assisted on a third to lead the way for the Flyers as they were able to get a little bit of payback against the Blackhawks for last year’s finals.
Carter’s goal 49 seconds into the second period got the Flyers out fast after a scoreless first period. Claude Giroux was originally credited with the goal but he instead earned an assist on the play. Giroux finished the game with three assists assisting on both of Carter’s tallies, including a beautiful saucer pass to Carter on a goal he batted out of the air and past Corey Crawford to make it 3-0. Crawford finished the game with 30 saves.
Sergei Bobrovsky was brilliant in goal for the Flyers winning his 20th game of the year stopping 30 of 31 shots he saw. The lone Blackhawks goal came in the third period on a Marian Hossa penalty shot. Philly’s Braydon Coburn covered the puck in the crease and was busted for it leading to the call. The penalty shot goal for the Blackhawks was their first at home since 1987. The Hawks fans enjoyed it but it would be the only joy they’d have once Scott Hartnell iced the game with an empty net goal.
For Philly, the win is their ninth in 11 games as they continue to pad their lead in the Eastern Conference. For Chicago, they’re unable to slide up the standings in the Western Conference as they could’ve passed Phoenix and tied Nashville and Anaheim for fourth in the West.
Here’s the video highlights of today’s game.
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)