Jan 23, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
The Flyers came into this game tied for the best record in the NHL while the Blackhawks are the defending Stanley Cup champions. The Flyers showed how much can change in a year as they controlled the game and took out Chicago 4-1 at United Center. Jeff Carter scored two goals and assisted on a third to lead the way for the Flyers as they were able to get a little bit of payback against the Blackhawks for last year’s finals.
Carter’s goal 49 seconds into the second period got the Flyers out fast after a scoreless first period. Claude Giroux was originally credited with the goal but he instead earned an assist on the play. Giroux finished the game with three assists assisting on both of Carter’s tallies, including a beautiful saucer pass to Carter on a goal he batted out of the air and past Corey Crawford to make it 3-0. Crawford finished the game with 30 saves.
Sergei Bobrovsky was brilliant in goal for the Flyers winning his 20th game of the year stopping 30 of 31 shots he saw. The lone Blackhawks goal came in the third period on a Marian Hossa penalty shot. Philly’s Braydon Coburn covered the puck in the crease and was busted for it leading to the call. The penalty shot goal for the Blackhawks was their first at home since 1987. The Hawks fans enjoyed it but it would be the only joy they’d have once Scott Hartnell iced the game with an empty net goal.
For Philly, the win is their ninth in 11 games as they continue to pad their lead in the Eastern Conference. For Chicago, they’re unable to slide up the standings in the Western Conference as they could’ve passed Phoenix and tied Nashville and Anaheim for fourth in the West.
Here’s the video highlights of today’s game.
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 0
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 4
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16