Jan 23, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
Through 40 minutes of play, the Flyers took less than a minute into the second period to break the scoreless tie. Claude Giroux scored his 19th goal of the season after a wild goal mouth scramble in front that saw Hawks goalie Corey Crawford unable to cover the puck and the Hawks defense unable to find it to clear it out. Giroux’s goal has been the only scoring so far.
The Flyers used their goal to swing momentum in the second period as they outshot Chicago 19-9 and have a 28-20 advantage overall for the game.
Things got a bit rowdy once again as Chicago’s Jake Dowell thought it was a good idea to drop the gloves with Flyers agitator Dan Carcillo. Carcillo handily won the fight pummeling Dowell, but Dowell was able to make Carcillo bleed. Will we see more of that carry over into the final period? We shall see.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 4
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 3
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7