Jan 23, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
Through 40 minutes of play, the Flyers took less than a minute into the second period to break the scoreless tie. Claude Giroux scored his 19th goal of the season after a wild goal mouth scramble in front that saw Hawks goalie Corey Crawford unable to cover the puck and the Hawks defense unable to find it to clear it out. Giroux’s goal has been the only scoring so far.
The Flyers used their goal to swing momentum in the second period as they outshot Chicago 19-9 and have a 28-20 advantage overall for the game.
Things got a bit rowdy once again as Chicago’s Jake Dowell thought it was a good idea to drop the gloves with Flyers agitator Dan Carcillo. Carcillo handily won the fight pummeling Dowell, but Dowell was able to make Carcillo bleed. Will we see more of that carry over into the final period? We shall see.
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 14
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 3
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)