Jan 23, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
Through 40 minutes of play, the Flyers took less than a minute into the second period to break the scoreless tie. Claude Giroux scored his 19th goal of the season after a wild goal mouth scramble in front that saw Hawks goalie Corey Crawford unable to cover the puck and the Hawks defense unable to find it to clear it out. Giroux’s goal has been the only scoring so far.
The Flyers used their goal to swing momentum in the second period as they outshot Chicago 19-9 and have a 28-20 advantage overall for the game.
Things got a bit rowdy once again as Chicago’s Jake Dowell thought it was a good idea to drop the gloves with Flyers agitator Dan Carcillo. Carcillo handily won the fight pummeling Dowell, but Dowell was able to make Carcillo bleed. Will we see more of that carry over into the final period? We shall see.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)