Jan 23, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
It was a spirited first period but one without any scoring in this Stanley Cup finals rematch in Chicago between the Flyers and Blackhawks.
Chicago had the edge in shots on goal 11-9 and each team had a power play opportunity that went for naught. Sergei Bobrovsky stood out making a couple of acrobatic saves to prevent Chicago from scoring.
We also saw a quick early fight between Bryan Bickell and Scott Hartnell. We’ve gotten a little bit of everything so far and now we’re just lacking some goals. The Blackhawks would like nothing more than to hear “Chelsea Dagger” this afternoon but breaking through the Flyers very passive 1-2-2 forecheck is going to make life difficult.
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)