Jan 23, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
It was a spirited first period but one without any scoring in this Stanley Cup finals rematch in Chicago between the Flyers and Blackhawks.
Chicago had the edge in shots on goal 11-9 and each team had a power play opportunity that went for naught. Sergei Bobrovsky stood out making a couple of acrobatic saves to prevent Chicago from scoring.
We also saw a quick early fight between Bryan Bickell and Scott Hartnell. We’ve gotten a little bit of everything so far and now we’re just lacking some goals. The Blackhawks would like nothing more than to hear “Chelsea Dagger” this afternoon but breaking through the Flyers very passive 1-2-2 forecheck is going to make life difficult.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)