Jan 23, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
It was a spirited first period but one without any scoring in this Stanley Cup finals rematch in Chicago between the Flyers and Blackhawks.
Chicago had the edge in shots on goal 11-9 and each team had a power play opportunity that went for naught. Sergei Bobrovsky stood out making a couple of acrobatic saves to prevent Chicago from scoring.
We also saw a quick early fight between Bryan Bickell and Scott Hartnell. We’ve gotten a little bit of everything so far and now we’re just lacking some goals. The Blackhawks would like nothing more than to hear “Chelsea Dagger” this afternoon but breaking through the Flyers very passive 1-2-2 forecheck is going to make life difficult.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54