Jan 23, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Turns out that Sidney Crosby and Jarome Iginla won’t be the only All-Stars missing out on the big event in Raleigh next weekend. Edmonton Oilers Ales Hemsky and Jordan Eberle will be missing out on the festivities for All-Star Weekend thanks to separate ailments. Hemsky will miss out on the All-Star Game thanks to the concussion he suffered recently while Eberle will not be participating in the Skills Competition as part of the rookie contingency there due to an ankle injury.
Hemsky’s selection to the All-Star Game was a much-debated choice given the seemingly better candidacies of a handful of other players. With Crosby reportedly out of the game and the potential solution of choosing from rookie participants at the Skills Competition two spots are up for grabs. The case can be made that those spots should be filled by veteran players like Martin Havlat, Joe Thornton, or John Tavares but the league might opt for a more dramatic way of filling out the rosters by choosing to fill those spots on the teams from the rookie group.
Of course, now that rookie group is one light thanks to Eberle missing out. Who takes his position there will be debated but a couple possibilities you might see there are Capitals defenseman John Carlson and Penguins forward Mark Letestu. Expect to get announcements on how the league opts to fill Hemsky’s and Crosby’s spots in the All-Star Game soon while a replacement for Eberle should come in short order.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)