Jan 23, 2011, 6:58 PM EDT
All of a sudden, the New Jersey Devils are showing serious signs of life. They’re that much closer to shedding the title of worst team in the NHL after they beat the Florida Panthers while the Buffalo Sabres defeated the New York Islanders.
The Devils earned their fourth win in a row and are an impressive 6-0-1 in their last seven games. They still own a league-low 35 points and trail eight ranked Atlanta by 20 points, but the NHL’s most disappointing team is showing signs of life.
Ilya Kovalchuk scored a goal and two assists, Jason Arnott notched two tallies and Brian Rolston scored a goal and an assist for New Jersey. Martin Brodeur stopped 24 out of 26 shots for his 10th win of the season. Both Scott Clemmensen and Jacob Markstrom appeared for the Panthers in this loss.
While New Jersey is on a four game winning streak, Florida lost four in a row.
Ryan Miller made 31 saves while Nathan Gerbe and Tyler Myers helped the Sabres split a home-and-home series with the Islanders this weekend. Matt Moulson scored two goals in a losing cause for the Isles, as Rick DiPietro stayed healthy long enough to lose.
Buffalo is now in 10th place in the East. They’re three points behind the ninth-ranked Carolina Hurricanes and six behind the eighth-ranked Atlanta Thrashers, so the playoffs aren’t an impossible dream despite the team’s considerable struggles.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)