Jan 22, 2011, 8:44 PM EDT
With Saku Koivu making his triumphant return to Montreal tonight, it’s been a homecoming in Quebec that’s brought out such a warm outpouring of emotion that it’s as if the modern equivalent Jean Beliveau or Rocket Richard were taking the ice at Bell Centre.
Koivu was captain of the Canadiens for ten years from 1999-2009. While he never won the Stanley Cup with the Habs, he had an outstanding career in Montreal. He was able to overcome cancer while playing for the Canadiens and his courage and toughness showed through in rebounding from that to continue pulling the Habs sweater on night after night.
His departure to Anaheim via free agency during the summer of 2009 was heartbreaking for many Habs fans and tonight was the first opportunity they had to say “thank you” to Koivu for his years of dedicated play. In typical Montreal fashion, they did not disappoint in how they received Koivu and celebrated him with chants of, “Saku! Saku!” Check out the video from tonight to see for yourself.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)