Jan 22, 2011, 8:44 PM EST
With Saku Koivu making his triumphant return to Montreal tonight, it’s been a homecoming in Quebec that’s brought out such a warm outpouring of emotion that it’s as if the modern equivalent Jean Beliveau or Rocket Richard were taking the ice at Bell Centre.
Koivu was captain of the Canadiens for ten years from 1999-2009. While he never won the Stanley Cup with the Habs, he had an outstanding career in Montreal. He was able to overcome cancer while playing for the Canadiens and his courage and toughness showed through in rebounding from that to continue pulling the Habs sweater on night after night.
His departure to Anaheim via free agency during the summer of 2009 was heartbreaking for many Habs fans and tonight was the first opportunity they had to say “thank you” to Koivu for his years of dedicated play. In typical Montreal fashion, they did not disappoint in how they received Koivu and celebrated him with chants of, “Saku! Saku!” Check out the video from tonight to see for yourself.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)