Jan 22, 2011, 8:44 PM EDT
With Saku Koivu making his triumphant return to Montreal tonight, it’s been a homecoming in Quebec that’s brought out such a warm outpouring of emotion that it’s as if the modern equivalent Jean Beliveau or Rocket Richard were taking the ice at Bell Centre.
Koivu was captain of the Canadiens for ten years from 1999-2009. While he never won the Stanley Cup with the Habs, he had an outstanding career in Montreal. He was able to overcome cancer while playing for the Canadiens and his courage and toughness showed through in rebounding from that to continue pulling the Habs sweater on night after night.
His departure to Anaheim via free agency during the summer of 2009 was heartbreaking for many Habs fans and tonight was the first opportunity they had to say “thank you” to Koivu for his years of dedicated play. In typical Montreal fashion, they did not disappoint in how they received Koivu and celebrated him with chants of, “Saku! Saku!” Check out the video from tonight to see for yourself.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)