Jan 22, 2011, 8:44 PM EDT
With Saku Koivu making his triumphant return to Montreal tonight, it’s been a homecoming in Quebec that’s brought out such a warm outpouring of emotion that it’s as if the modern equivalent Jean Beliveau or Rocket Richard were taking the ice at Bell Centre.
Koivu was captain of the Canadiens for ten years from 1999-2009. While he never won the Stanley Cup with the Habs, he had an outstanding career in Montreal. He was able to overcome cancer while playing for the Canadiens and his courage and toughness showed through in rebounding from that to continue pulling the Habs sweater on night after night.
His departure to Anaheim via free agency during the summer of 2009 was heartbreaking for many Habs fans and tonight was the first opportunity they had to say “thank you” to Koivu for his years of dedicated play. In typical Montreal fashion, they did not disappoint in how they received Koivu and celebrated him with chants of, “Saku! Saku!” Check out the video from tonight to see for yourself.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)