Jan 22, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
The Tampa Bay Lightning find themselves in first place in the Southeast Division, but most (if not all) who follow the team will agree that strong goaltending hasn’t been the reason why they have been successful.
Their three goalies are in very different situations. Dwayne Roloson might be the top dog right now, but at 41 years old, it is clear that he’s close to the end. Mike Smith was sent down to the AHL for a conditioning stint, but the injury prone goalie must feel like the odd man out.
The one guy who can really make a place for himself on this burgeoning contender is Dan Ellis. His inability to hold onto the starting job is why GM Steve Yzerman made the move to acquire Roloson in the first place, but Ellis still has a shot to build a future in Tampa Bay. We’re still waiting on the results to the Ellis experiment, but if he produces more games like his 29-for-30-saves evening, he might be onto something.
Here’s his best save of Friday night, which also happened to be the best of January 21st.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)