Jan 22, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The Finnish forward spent 13 seasons with the Canadiens, the team who drafted him in the first round in 1993. He was a captain for 10 seasons, scoring 191 goals and 450 assists for 641 points with the Habs.
Of course, the bond was made quite a bit stronger because of his emotional battle with cancer as well. Montreal fans greeted Koivu with an astounding eight minute standing ovation upon his return to the ice on April 9, 2002 (read all about that amazing night here).
Koivu became emotional merely discussing tonight’s game at a press conference, so one can only imagine how bad his “allergies” will become tonight.
“It’s a really unique and special bond between me and the city of Montreal and the people here,” Koivu said to close an opening statement to a room packed with reporters. “That doesn’t happen very often. The way they made us feel and what they gave us here, we’ll never forget that. I want to thank the people here for that. That was really amazing.”
As those final words left his lips, Koivu’s voice was shaking. He was having trouble getting them out. The emotion was palpable.
And that was just a press conference.
The emotions that will be coursing through Koivu’s veins Saturday as he makes the strange trip toward the visiting dressing room, pulls on his Ducks jersey and steps out in front of 21,273 fans who have waited a year and a half to express how much he meant to this city may very well overwhelm him.
“It’s going to be an emotional night, one I won’t forget for the rest of my life,” Koivu said. “It will be like I’m playing on home ice in a home arena, but I’ll be wearing a Ducks jersey.”
We’ll keep an eye on the proceedings in Montreal tonight and fill you in on the details later.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)