Jan 22, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
While the terms of the contract have not yet been confirmed, the New York Islanders claimed goalie Evgeni Nabokov according to Craig Custance. This confirms fears that he wouldn’t get through the process to join the Detroit Red Wings.
Financial details of the deal haven’t become clear just yet, although it sounds like he might have a no trade clause (rumor has it that the Red Wings tried to make him a less desirable waiver claim by placing such a clause in the deal). Joe passed along reports yesterday that it is a one-year deal.
The Islanders have been rolling with Kevin Poulin and Rick DiPietro in net with Nathan Lawson filling in during DiPietro’s inevitable injuries since the team traded Dwayne Roloson to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Nabokov brings instant name recognition to the Islanders net and still has some life in his legs at 35. The question is: how will he react to playing behind a leaky defense and with a weak team after years of playing behind superior squads with the San Jose Sharks?
There’s also the possibility that the Islanders might make a further move with Nabokov, but it’s not crazy to wonder if the team might be better off keeping him around at a cheap price. One other thing to consider: some wonder if Nabokov might not report to the cellar dwelling Islanders; if that happens, he won’t be able to play in the NHL this season.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)