Jan 22, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
While the terms of the contract have not yet been confirmed, the New York Islanders claimed goalie Evgeni Nabokov according to Craig Custance. This confirms fears that he wouldn’t get through the process to join the Detroit Red Wings.
Financial details of the deal haven’t become clear just yet, although it sounds like he might have a no trade clause (rumor has it that the Red Wings tried to make him a less desirable waiver claim by placing such a clause in the deal). Joe passed along reports yesterday that it is a one-year deal.
The Islanders have been rolling with Kevin Poulin and Rick DiPietro in net with Nathan Lawson filling in during DiPietro’s inevitable injuries since the team traded Dwayne Roloson to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Nabokov brings instant name recognition to the Islanders net and still has some life in his legs at 35. The question is: how will he react to playing behind a leaky defense and with a weak team after years of playing behind superior squads with the San Jose Sharks?
There’s also the possibility that the Islanders might make a further move with Nabokov, but it’s not crazy to wonder if the team might be better off keeping him around at a cheap price. One other thing to consider: some wonder if Nabokov might not report to the cellar dwelling Islanders; if that happens, he won’t be able to play in the NHL this season.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 55
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8