Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
When it comes to publicity, if the NHL makes it onto TMZ Sports, it’s usually not a good thing. (Aside from the occasional story about Joel Quenneville getting his house amicably ransacked after winning the Stanley Cup.)
The latest NHL player to earn bad tabloid attention is Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek, who is being accused of punching a woman in the face at a Hollywood nightclub.
It’s far from the first bar-related incident in the NHL this season, as Brett Sutter made all kinds of negative headlines during an “out of character” incident in an Arizona bar. It’s also not the first time a member of the Leafs has been accused of hitting a member of the opposite sex, asd Komisarek’s teammate Mikhail Grabovski got himself into some trouble for allegedly striking a woman too.
TMZ Sports describes what sounds like an ugly incident (if it is true):
Law enforcement sources tell us … the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse was named in a police report filed by a woman who claims the whole thing went down after Komisarek decided to lift her up in the air at a Hollywood nightclub.
We’re told the woman claims she demanded Komisarek put her down — but he refused — so she slapped him in the face.
The woman claims Komisarek immediately set her down … and then punched her in the face, causing her to bleed.
No word from Komisarek, the Maple Leafs or the NHL just yet, but we’ll keep you updated when someone responds regarding the accusations. We’ll let you know if Komisarek faces any discipline from the law or the league as time goes by.
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 0
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 19
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 83
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (83)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants