Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
When it comes to publicity, if the NHL makes it onto TMZ Sports, it’s usually not a good thing. (Aside from the occasional story about Joel Quenneville getting his house amicably ransacked after winning the Stanley Cup.)
The latest NHL player to earn bad tabloid attention is Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek, who is being accused of punching a woman in the face at a Hollywood nightclub.
It’s far from the first bar-related incident in the NHL this season, as Brett Sutter made all kinds of negative headlines during an “out of character” incident in an Arizona bar. It’s also not the first time a member of the Leafs has been accused of hitting a member of the opposite sex, asd Komisarek’s teammate Mikhail Grabovski got himself into some trouble for allegedly striking a woman too.
TMZ Sports describes what sounds like an ugly incident (if it is true):
Law enforcement sources tell us … the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse was named in a police report filed by a woman who claims the whole thing went down after Komisarek decided to lift her up in the air at a Hollywood nightclub.
We’re told the woman claims she demanded Komisarek put her down — but he refused — so she slapped him in the face.
The woman claims Komisarek immediately set her down … and then punched her in the face, causing her to bleed.
No word from Komisarek, the Maple Leafs or the NHL just yet, but we’ll keep you updated when someone responds regarding the accusations. We’ll let you know if Komisarek faces any discipline from the law or the league as time goes by.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)