Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
When it comes to publicity, if the NHL makes it onto TMZ Sports, it’s usually not a good thing. (Aside from the occasional story about Joel Quenneville getting his house amicably ransacked after winning the Stanley Cup.)
The latest NHL player to earn bad tabloid attention is Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek, who is being accused of punching a woman in the face at a Hollywood nightclub.
It’s far from the first bar-related incident in the NHL this season, as Brett Sutter made all kinds of negative headlines during an “out of character” incident in an Arizona bar. It’s also not the first time a member of the Leafs has been accused of hitting a member of the opposite sex, asd Komisarek’s teammate Mikhail Grabovski got himself into some trouble for allegedly striking a woman too.
TMZ Sports describes what sounds like an ugly incident (if it is true):
Law enforcement sources tell us … the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse was named in a police report filed by a woman who claims the whole thing went down after Komisarek decided to lift her up in the air at a Hollywood nightclub.
We’re told the woman claims she demanded Komisarek put her down — but he refused — so she slapped him in the face.
The woman claims Komisarek immediately set her down … and then punched her in the face, causing her to bleed.
No word from Komisarek, the Maple Leafs or the NHL just yet, but we’ll keep you updated when someone responds regarding the accusations. We’ll let you know if Komisarek faces any discipline from the law or the league as time goes by.
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 116
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (116)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)