Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
When it comes to publicity, if the NHL makes it onto TMZ Sports, it’s usually not a good thing. (Aside from the occasional story about Joel Quenneville getting his house amicably ransacked after winning the Stanley Cup.)
The latest NHL player to earn bad tabloid attention is Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek, who is being accused of punching a woman in the face at a Hollywood nightclub.
It’s far from the first bar-related incident in the NHL this season, as Brett Sutter made all kinds of negative headlines during an “out of character” incident in an Arizona bar. It’s also not the first time a member of the Leafs has been accused of hitting a member of the opposite sex, asd Komisarek’s teammate Mikhail Grabovski got himself into some trouble for allegedly striking a woman too.
TMZ Sports describes what sounds like an ugly incident (if it is true):
Law enforcement sources tell us … the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse was named in a police report filed by a woman who claims the whole thing went down after Komisarek decided to lift her up in the air at a Hollywood nightclub.
We’re told the woman claims she demanded Komisarek put her down — but he refused — so she slapped him in the face.
The woman claims Komisarek immediately set her down … and then punched her in the face, causing her to bleed.
No word from Komisarek, the Maple Leafs or the NHL just yet, but we’ll keep you updated when someone responds regarding the accusations. We’ll let you know if Komisarek faces any discipline from the law or the league as time goes by.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)