Jan 22, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There tend to be two types of Goals of the Night: 1) ones that win the game/come at a crucial time in a contest and 2) exemplary display of skill or general oddities.
Nathan Gerbe‘s two goal outburst is an example of No. 2: the Buffalo Sabres were down 4-0 when Gerbe scored a pair of tallies in only five seconds, so it ultimately didn’t matter a whole lot.
The first goal was quite award-worthy in particular, though, as Gerbe took the puck on an end-to-end rush and scored a beauty of a backhander past New York Islanders goalie Kevin Poulin. The Islanders ended up winning 5-2, but Gerbe gets the best goal of January 21st.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)