Jan 22, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There tend to be two types of Goals of the Night: 1) ones that win the game/come at a crucial time in a contest and 2) exemplary display of skill or general oddities.
Nathan Gerbe‘s two goal outburst is an example of No. 2: the Buffalo Sabres were down 4-0 when Gerbe scored a pair of tallies in only five seconds, so it ultimately didn’t matter a whole lot.
The first goal was quite award-worthy in particular, though, as Gerbe took the puck on an end-to-end rush and scored a beauty of a backhander past New York Islanders goalie Kevin Poulin. The Islanders ended up winning 5-2, but Gerbe gets the best goal of January 21st.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)