Jan 22, 2011, 4:52 PM EDT
The New York Islanders made an interesting, potentially shrewd move to snatch goalie Evgeni Nabokov off of the waive wire today but the Russian netminder’s agent Don Meehan says he won’t report to Long Island.
Obviously, going from being signed by Stanley Cup contender Detroit to the Long Island cellar dwellers is a considerable drop in prestige. Still, if the two sides don’t find a way to work something out – even if it’s just a thinly veiled way for the Isles to try to squeeze something out of a team looking to nab Nabby – then the Russian goalie will be forced to sit out the rest of the 2010-11 season.
Meehan stated earlier in the proceedings that the goalie would play for whichever team signed him because he wanted to treat the rest of this season as “an audition” but perhaps Nabokov views joining the Islanders as the equivalent to signing on for a lead role in that disastrous Spider Man play.
Katie Strang caught up with Islanders GM Garth Snow on the subject, who offered this response.
Snow wouldn’t discuss his plans if Nabokov doesn’t report: We will cross that bridge when we get there. To me that’s not an issue right now.
It’s doubtful that floundering in the KHL and then refusing to play for a rebuilding NHL team will increase Nabokov’s profile either, but much like Snow, we’ll have to wait and see how this one plays out.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 34
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)