Jan 22, 2011, 12:13 AM EDT
Perhaps it makes some sense that the Dallas Stars’ franchise record eight game winning streak ended on a night in which Jarome Iginla – a player who ended up being a very important part of the team’s history – made a little history of his own.
The former Stars draft pick (who was traded to the Flames in a mutually beneficial swap in which Dallas acquired key Stanley Cup run fixture Joe Nieuwendyk) reached the 20 goal plateau for the 12th season in a row as Calgary manhandled Dallas 7-4 tonight.
Iginla also earned an assist on a high-scoring night for both squads. David Moss scored two goals and one assist, while Iginla, Olli Jokinen, Brendan Morrison and Alex Tanguay produced one goal and one assist nights for the Flames. Mike Ribeiro was arguably the best Star on the ice, notching three assists.
Neither goalie will want to remember this game, as Henrik Karlsson made 17 out of 21 saves while Andrew Raycroft allowed seven goals on only 19 shots.
This was the Stars’ first regulation loss of 2011, as they are 7-1-1 in the month of January. Their Pacific Division lead is still safe, as Dallas has a six point and five win lead over their nearest divisional rival, the Phoenix Coyotes. (Some teams in the Pacific might not need as many wins to tie the Stars, but would need more points than the Coyotes.)
The Flames are still on the outside of the playoff picture, although they’re starting to inch their way closer to contention. They trail the current seventh seed Chicago Blackhawks and current eight seed Colorado Avalanche by six points right now. That’s far from an insurmountable distance, but Calgary will need to keep plugging along if they hope to make up that space.
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 0
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 7
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)