Jan 22, 2011, 12:13 AM EDT
Perhaps it makes some sense that the Dallas Stars’ franchise record eight game winning streak ended on a night in which Jarome Iginla – a player who ended up being a very important part of the team’s history – made a little history of his own.
The former Stars draft pick (who was traded to the Flames in a mutually beneficial swap in which Dallas acquired key Stanley Cup run fixture Joe Nieuwendyk) reached the 20 goal plateau for the 12th season in a row as Calgary manhandled Dallas 7-4 tonight.
Iginla also earned an assist on a high-scoring night for both squads. David Moss scored two goals and one assist, while Iginla, Olli Jokinen, Brendan Morrison and Alex Tanguay produced one goal and one assist nights for the Flames. Mike Ribeiro was arguably the best Star on the ice, notching three assists.
Neither goalie will want to remember this game, as Henrik Karlsson made 17 out of 21 saves while Andrew Raycroft allowed seven goals on only 19 shots.
This was the Stars’ first regulation loss of 2011, as they are 7-1-1 in the month of January. Their Pacific Division lead is still safe, as Dallas has a six point and five win lead over their nearest divisional rival, the Phoenix Coyotes. (Some teams in the Pacific might not need as many wins to tie the Stars, but would need more points than the Coyotes.)
The Flames are still on the outside of the playoff picture, although they’re starting to inch their way closer to contention. They trail the current seventh seed Chicago Blackhawks and current eight seed Colorado Avalanche by six points right now. That’s far from an insurmountable distance, but Calgary will need to keep plugging along if they hope to make up that space.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)