Jan 22, 2011, 12:13 AM EDT
Perhaps it makes some sense that the Dallas Stars’ franchise record eight game winning streak ended on a night in which Jarome Iginla – a player who ended up being a very important part of the team’s history – made a little history of his own.
The former Stars draft pick (who was traded to the Flames in a mutually beneficial swap in which Dallas acquired key Stanley Cup run fixture Joe Nieuwendyk) reached the 20 goal plateau for the 12th season in a row as Calgary manhandled Dallas 7-4 tonight.
Iginla also earned an assist on a high-scoring night for both squads. David Moss scored two goals and one assist, while Iginla, Olli Jokinen, Brendan Morrison and Alex Tanguay produced one goal and one assist nights for the Flames. Mike Ribeiro was arguably the best Star on the ice, notching three assists.
Neither goalie will want to remember this game, as Henrik Karlsson made 17 out of 21 saves while Andrew Raycroft allowed seven goals on only 19 shots.
This was the Stars’ first regulation loss of 2011, as they are 7-1-1 in the month of January. Their Pacific Division lead is still safe, as Dallas has a six point and five win lead over their nearest divisional rival, the Phoenix Coyotes. (Some teams in the Pacific might not need as many wins to tie the Stars, but would need more points than the Coyotes.)
The Flames are still on the outside of the playoff picture, although they’re starting to inch their way closer to contention. They trail the current seventh seed Chicago Blackhawks and current eight seed Colorado Avalanche by six points right now. That’s far from an insurmountable distance, but Calgary will need to keep plugging along if they hope to make up that space.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 5
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6