Jan 22, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
While the Bruins were able to score a big win over the Colorado Avalanche 6-2 this afternoon in Denver, attention has again shifted to the health of star centerman Marc Savard.
Savard left the game early in the second period after taking a wicked hit from Avs defenseman, and former Bruin, Matt Hunwick. The hit was a clean hit but Savard was down on the ice for several minutes and the instant worry for him is whether or not he’s suffered another concussion.
After the game, the Bruins announced that Savard would not be joining the team on the way to Los Angeles and will instead head back to Boston to be checked out. Bruins coach Claude Julien seemed positive but not telling about Savard’s outlook.
“He seemed fine when I talked to him,” Julien said. “So we’re hoping it’s all minor.”
Whether Savard has a concussion or not won’t be known for a little bit, but the fact he’s being sent home to be evaluated further doesn’t bode well. Savard had the start to his season delayed thanks to lingering effects from the concussion he suffered at the hands of Penguins forward Matt Cooke last season. Savard did come back to play in the playoffs but may have done so at the risk of his own health considering he started this season out with post-concussion syndrome.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)