Jan 22, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
While the Bruins were able to score a big win over the Colorado Avalanche 6-2 this afternoon in Denver, attention has again shifted to the health of star centerman Marc Savard.
Savard left the game early in the second period after taking a wicked hit from Avs defenseman, and former Bruin, Matt Hunwick. The hit was a clean hit but Savard was down on the ice for several minutes and the instant worry for him is whether or not he’s suffered another concussion.
After the game, the Bruins announced that Savard would not be joining the team on the way to Los Angeles and will instead head back to Boston to be checked out. Bruins coach Claude Julien seemed positive but not telling about Savard’s outlook.
“He seemed fine when I talked to him,” Julien said. “So we’re hoping it’s all minor.”
Whether Savard has a concussion or not won’t be known for a little bit, but the fact he’s being sent home to be evaluated further doesn’t bode well. Savard had the start to his season delayed thanks to lingering effects from the concussion he suffered at the hands of Penguins forward Matt Cooke last season. Savard did come back to play in the playoffs but may have done so at the risk of his own health considering he started this season out with post-concussion syndrome.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)