Jan 22, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
While the Bruins were able to score a big win over the Colorado Avalanche 6-2 this afternoon in Denver, attention has again shifted to the health of star centerman Marc Savard.
Savard left the game early in the second period after taking a wicked hit from Avs defenseman, and former Bruin, Matt Hunwick. The hit was a clean hit but Savard was down on the ice for several minutes and the instant worry for him is whether or not he’s suffered another concussion.
After the game, the Bruins announced that Savard would not be joining the team on the way to Los Angeles and will instead head back to Boston to be checked out. Bruins coach Claude Julien seemed positive but not telling about Savard’s outlook.
“He seemed fine when I talked to him,” Julien said. “So we’re hoping it’s all minor.”
Whether Savard has a concussion or not won’t be known for a little bit, but the fact he’s being sent home to be evaluated further doesn’t bode well. Savard had the start to his season delayed thanks to lingering effects from the concussion he suffered at the hands of Penguins forward Matt Cooke last season. Savard did come back to play in the playoffs but may have done so at the risk of his own health considering he started this season out with post-concussion syndrome.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)