Jan 22, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
While the Bruins were able to score a big win over the Colorado Avalanche 6-2 this afternoon in Denver, attention has again shifted to the health of star centerman Marc Savard.
Savard left the game early in the second period after taking a wicked hit from Avs defenseman, and former Bruin, Matt Hunwick. The hit was a clean hit but Savard was down on the ice for several minutes and the instant worry for him is whether or not he’s suffered another concussion.
After the game, the Bruins announced that Savard would not be joining the team on the way to Los Angeles and will instead head back to Boston to be checked out. Bruins coach Claude Julien seemed positive but not telling about Savard’s outlook.
“He seemed fine when I talked to him,” Julien said. “So we’re hoping it’s all minor.”
Whether Savard has a concussion or not won’t be known for a little bit, but the fact he’s being sent home to be evaluated further doesn’t bode well. Savard had the start to his season delayed thanks to lingering effects from the concussion he suffered at the hands of Penguins forward Matt Cooke last season. Savard did come back to play in the playoffs but may have done so at the risk of his own health considering he started this season out with post-concussion syndrome.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)