Jan 22, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
While the Bruins were able to score a big win over the Colorado Avalanche 6-2 this afternoon in Denver, attention has again shifted to the health of star centerman Marc Savard.
Savard left the game early in the second period after taking a wicked hit from Avs defenseman, and former Bruin, Matt Hunwick. The hit was a clean hit but Savard was down on the ice for several minutes and the instant worry for him is whether or not he’s suffered another concussion.
After the game, the Bruins announced that Savard would not be joining the team on the way to Los Angeles and will instead head back to Boston to be checked out. Bruins coach Claude Julien seemed positive but not telling about Savard’s outlook.
“He seemed fine when I talked to him,” Julien said. “So we’re hoping it’s all minor.”
Whether Savard has a concussion or not won’t be known for a little bit, but the fact he’s being sent home to be evaluated further doesn’t bode well. Savard had the start to his season delayed thanks to lingering effects from the concussion he suffered at the hands of Penguins forward Matt Cooke last season. Savard did come back to play in the playoffs but may have done so at the risk of his own health considering he started this season out with post-concussion syndrome.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)