Jan 22, 2011, 10:44 PM EDT
On the unofficial Saku Koivu night in Montreal, it would be another member of the Ducks who came away with his team’s glory tonight. Bobby Ryan scored the game-winner in the shootout for the Ducks as they avoided disaster against the Habs winning 4-3.
Anaheim went into the third period with a 3-1 lead but saw it evaporate as the Habs broke out with a full-on attack in the period putting 23 shots on net. Mathieu Darche and Max Pacioretty each had goals in the period to tie the score. From there, the game headed to overtime setting the stage for the possibility of seeing the homecoming Koivu becoming the hero for Anaheim in the extra period, but it didn’t happen as the teams skated scoreless for the final five minutes.
In the shootout, Ryan ended it scoring the only goal of the skills competition in the third round ending a great game for him as he had a goal during regulation to go with his shootout winner. The real star of the night was once again Jonas Hiller as he stopped 37 shots on the game and allowed no goals in the shootout to earn the win. His 21-save third period was what helped keep the Ducks in the game. Carey Price stopped 23 shots in the loss.
For Montreal, it ends a bittersweet night as the fans were more than welcoming to the return of Saku Koivu but saw the former Habs captain do more to help them out by committing three minor penalties as well as assisting on Corey Perry’s 25th goal of the year.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery