All-Star Game alternate captains named: Team Staal adds Mike Green and Ryan Kesler; Team Lidstrom gets Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis
Jan 22, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT
The NHL announced the alternate captains for the 2011 NHL All-Star Game this morning, as Eric Staal‘s squad added defenseman Mike Green and forward Ryan Kesler while Nick Lidstrom’s side added forwards Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis.
The four alternate captains will assist Staal and Lidstrom respectively, especially during the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft on Friday, January 28th. The league mandated that each group of three captains must include two forwards and one defenseman.
These additions might be especially valuable from an entertainment standpoint, as Kesler and Green should provide some personality for Staal’s side while Kane’s wise-cracking nature should spice things up for Lidstrom. Both Staal and Lidstrom can be a little dry, so the influx of quip ability will be great for a televised event.
Not that it is especially urgent, but Lidstrom’s side might end up getting the better of Staal from a pure puck perspective. Lidstrom’s a perennial Norris Trophy winner, Kane scored the 2010 Cup winning goal and St. Louis is a former Hart Trophy winner to boot.
It should be fascinating to watch the fantasy draft next Friday; these additions should make it that much more fun to see what happens.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31