All-Star Game alternate captains named: Team Staal adds Mike Green and Ryan Kesler; Team Lidstrom gets Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis
Jan 22, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT
The NHL announced the alternate captains for the 2011 NHL All-Star Game this morning, as Eric Staal‘s squad added defenseman Mike Green and forward Ryan Kesler while Nick Lidstrom’s side added forwards Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis.
The four alternate captains will assist Staal and Lidstrom respectively, especially during the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft on Friday, January 28th. The league mandated that each group of three captains must include two forwards and one defenseman.
These additions might be especially valuable from an entertainment standpoint, as Kesler and Green should provide some personality for Staal’s side while Kane’s wise-cracking nature should spice things up for Lidstrom. Both Staal and Lidstrom can be a little dry, so the influx of quip ability will be great for a televised event.
Not that it is especially urgent, but Lidstrom’s side might end up getting the better of Staal from a pure puck perspective. Lidstrom’s a perennial Norris Trophy winner, Kane scored the 2010 Cup winning goal and St. Louis is a former Hart Trophy winner to boot.
It should be fascinating to watch the fantasy draft next Friday; these additions should make it that much more fun to see what happens.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)