Jan 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Last night, Kings GM Dean Lombardi went ballistic on replay officials in Toronto not overturning an on-ice call for a goal scored by Phoenix’s Martin Hanzal. Hanzal’s goal in the second period was the first of the game and the eventual game-winner in a 2-0 Coyotes win over Los Angeles.
Lombardi singled out NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy for being upset that he didn’t end up with a job with the Kings and that’s the reason why the replay call went against his team. Never mind the fact that the Kings haven’t been able to score goals with any sort of consistency lately and they’re mired in a miserable stretch of games in which they’ve lost 10 of their last 12.
As it turns out, Lombardi’s got a good reason to complain as evidenced by this great photo taken by the AP’s Mark J. Terrill.
As you can see, Hanzal’s stick is clearly above the crossbar where it connects with the puck to put it past Jon Quick. Somehow, the officials on the ice missed this as did the replay officials.
This doesn’t mean Lombardi is off the hook for his comments as he’ll likely be reprimanded with a fine for being critical of basically everyone involved but this little slice of vindication should make for a nice moral victory.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 1
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 19
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 91
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (92)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)