Jan 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Last night, Kings GM Dean Lombardi went ballistic on replay officials in Toronto not overturning an on-ice call for a goal scored by Phoenix’s Martin Hanzal. Hanzal’s goal in the second period was the first of the game and the eventual game-winner in a 2-0 Coyotes win over Los Angeles.
Lombardi singled out NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy for being upset that he didn’t end up with a job with the Kings and that’s the reason why the replay call went against his team. Never mind the fact that the Kings haven’t been able to score goals with any sort of consistency lately and they’re mired in a miserable stretch of games in which they’ve lost 10 of their last 12.
As it turns out, Lombardi’s got a good reason to complain as evidenced by this great photo taken by the AP’s Mark J. Terrill.
As you can see, Hanzal’s stick is clearly above the crossbar where it connects with the puck to put it past Jon Quick. Somehow, the officials on the ice missed this as did the replay officials.
This doesn’t mean Lombardi is off the hook for his comments as he’ll likely be reprimanded with a fine for being critical of basically everyone involved but this little slice of vindication should make for a nice moral victory.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)