Jan 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Last night, Kings GM Dean Lombardi went ballistic on replay officials in Toronto not overturning an on-ice call for a goal scored by Phoenix’s Martin Hanzal. Hanzal’s goal in the second period was the first of the game and the eventual game-winner in a 2-0 Coyotes win over Los Angeles.
Lombardi singled out NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy for being upset that he didn’t end up with a job with the Kings and that’s the reason why the replay call went against his team. Never mind the fact that the Kings haven’t been able to score goals with any sort of consistency lately and they’re mired in a miserable stretch of games in which they’ve lost 10 of their last 12.
As it turns out, Lombardi’s got a good reason to complain as evidenced by this great photo taken by the AP’s Mark J. Terrill.
As you can see, Hanzal’s stick is clearly above the crossbar where it connects with the puck to put it past Jon Quick. Somehow, the officials on the ice missed this as did the replay officials.
This doesn’t mean Lombardi is off the hook for his comments as he’ll likely be reprimanded with a fine for being critical of basically everyone involved but this little slice of vindication should make for a nice moral victory.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 8
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 39
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)