Jan 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Last night, Kings GM Dean Lombardi went ballistic on replay officials in Toronto not overturning an on-ice call for a goal scored by Phoenix’s Martin Hanzal. Hanzal’s goal in the second period was the first of the game and the eventual game-winner in a 2-0 Coyotes win over Los Angeles.
Lombardi singled out NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy for being upset that he didn’t end up with a job with the Kings and that’s the reason why the replay call went against his team. Never mind the fact that the Kings haven’t been able to score goals with any sort of consistency lately and they’re mired in a miserable stretch of games in which they’ve lost 10 of their last 12.
As it turns out, Lombardi’s got a good reason to complain as evidenced by this great photo taken by the AP’s Mark J. Terrill.
As you can see, Hanzal’s stick is clearly above the crossbar where it connects with the puck to put it past Jon Quick. Somehow, the officials on the ice missed this as did the replay officials.
This doesn’t mean Lombardi is off the hook for his comments as he’ll likely be reprimanded with a fine for being critical of basically everyone involved but this little slice of vindication should make for a nice moral victory.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 26
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 70
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (71)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)