Jan 21, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Last night, Kings GM Dean Lombardi went ballistic on replay officials in Toronto not overturning an on-ice call for a goal scored by Phoenix’s Martin Hanzal. Hanzal’s goal in the second period was the first of the game and the eventual game-winner in a 2-0 Coyotes win over Los Angeles.
Lombardi singled out NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy for being upset that he didn’t end up with a job with the Kings and that’s the reason why the replay call went against his team. Never mind the fact that the Kings haven’t been able to score goals with any sort of consistency lately and they’re mired in a miserable stretch of games in which they’ve lost 10 of their last 12.
As it turns out, Lombardi’s got a good reason to complain as evidenced by this great photo taken by the AP’s Mark J. Terrill.
As you can see, Hanzal’s stick is clearly above the crossbar where it connects with the puck to put it past Jon Quick. Somehow, the officials on the ice missed this as did the replay officials.
This doesn’t mean Lombardi is off the hook for his comments as he’ll likely be reprimanded with a fine for being critical of basically everyone involved but this little slice of vindication should make for a nice moral victory.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)