Jan 21, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Right when the Islanders were getting some of their defensive corps back together, they’ll have to part ways with a helpful member of their blue line for a bit. The Isles announced that Milan Jurcina will be out 2-4 weeks with the ever-mysterious upper body injury. Jurcina had just recently returned to the Isles lineup and he was able to give them a big body presence and a decent shot from the point.
Now, they’ll have to go back to their youth movement on the blue line. With Mark Eaton, Mike Mottau, and Mark Streit also out, youngsters like Travis Hamonic, Andrew MacDonald, and Dylan Reese have had to shoulder the load of late for the Islanders. If that doesn’t sound like a recipe for success to you then you’ll have a full grasp on why the Islanders are 14th out of 15 teams in the Eastern Conference.
Jurcina’s setback isn’t as dire as the ones to Eaton and Mottau who are both out for the season, but it’s frustrating nonetheless as he’s been out of the lineup more often than he’s been in it.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5