Jan 21, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Right when the Islanders were getting some of their defensive corps back together, they’ll have to part ways with a helpful member of their blue line for a bit. The Isles announced that Milan Jurcina will be out 2-4 weeks with the ever-mysterious upper body injury. Jurcina had just recently returned to the Isles lineup and he was able to give them a big body presence and a decent shot from the point.
Now, they’ll have to go back to their youth movement on the blue line. With Mark Eaton, Mike Mottau, and Mark Streit also out, youngsters like Travis Hamonic, Andrew MacDonald, and Dylan Reese have had to shoulder the load of late for the Islanders. If that doesn’t sound like a recipe for success to you then you’ll have a full grasp on why the Islanders are 14th out of 15 teams in the Eastern Conference.
Jurcina’s setback isn’t as dire as the ones to Eaton and Mottau who are both out for the season, but it’s frustrating nonetheless as he’s been out of the lineup more often than he’s been in it.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)