Jan 21, 2011, 12:37 PM EST
Right when the Islanders were getting some of their defensive corps back together, they’ll have to part ways with a helpful member of their blue line for a bit. The Isles announced that Milan Jurcina will be out 2-4 weeks with the ever-mysterious upper body injury. Jurcina had just recently returned to the Isles lineup and he was able to give them a big body presence and a decent shot from the point.
Now, they’ll have to go back to their youth movement on the blue line. With Mark Eaton, Mike Mottau, and Mark Streit also out, youngsters like Travis Hamonic, Andrew MacDonald, and Dylan Reese have had to shoulder the load of late for the Islanders. If that doesn’t sound like a recipe for success to you then you’ll have a full grasp on why the Islanders are 14th out of 15 teams in the Eastern Conference.
Jurcina’s setback isn’t as dire as the ones to Eaton and Mottau who are both out for the season, but it’s frustrating nonetheless as he’s been out of the lineup more often than he’s been in it.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46