Another Atlanta Thrashers lawsuit: Owners allege that faulty contract blocked sale, team lost $130M since 2005
Jan 21, 2011, 8:53 PM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers are opening a new chapter on the ice thanks in a large part to the changes made by general manager Rick Dudley, but they still face some problems off the ice.
That’s evident in a new lawsuit filed by the Atlanta Spirit, an ownership group behind the Thrashers as well as the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks (although the Hawks aren’t mentioned in the new suit). The Atlanta Spirit filed a $200 million malpractice suit against law firm King & Spalding today, arguing that a “fatally flawed” contract made it impossible for the group to sell the Thrashers in 2005. In that time, they claim that the team accrued loses of more than $130 million, according to Kristi Swartz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
They claim that the franchise’s value has dropped $50 million since ’05, when the Spirit convinced partner Steve Belkin to sell his 30 percent stake in the team.
It seemed like the franchise and ownership group might turn the page when a lengthy lawsuit between the Spirit and Belkin was finally settled, but that apparently isn’t the case. We’re far from legal experts here at PHT, but we’ll pass along updates when some of the bigger news drops, especially if this means that the blossoming young team ends up with new owners.
After all, everyone might want to cleanse their palate after some painfully expensive years.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (69)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car