Jan 20, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
On a day that’s usually left off for the Super Bowl to take all the sports headlines, NBC’s Game of the Week will have a super clash of their own as the combatants from this year’s Winter Classic face off once again. On February 6 at 12:30 p.m. ET it’ll be the Pittsburgh Penguins squaring off with the Washington Capitals from Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.
When these two met up last on the outdoor rink at Heniz Field, the Capitals were able to spoil the evening for the hometown Penguins coming away with a 3-1 win thanks to the efforts of unheralded forward Eric Fehr. In that game we also saw Pens captain Sidney Crosby get dinged up thanks to a collision with Capitals forward David Steckel. Will payback be on the mind of the Penguins as they square off with their heated rivals? Perhaps so, but at the least, we’ll see another intense game between these two top Eastern Conference squads.
The Capitals are led by captain Alex Ovechkin while the Penguins will hope to have their captain Sidney Crosby back on the ice in time to try and spoil the afternoon on Ovechkin’s home turf. It’s only fitting that two of the NHL’s most popular teams get to face each other on Super Sunday and give the NBC national audience a chance to revisit these two just a month after their epic showdown in front of 68,000-plus fans in Pittsburgh.
Doc Emrick, Ed Olczyk, Mike Milbury, and Pierre McGuire will all be on hand to bring you the action at 12:30 p.m. on NBC. With how these two teams are continuing to go through their own ups and downs in terms of success and injuries, the table is set for yet another dramatic reunion between these teams.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)