Jan 20, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
On a day that’s usually left off for the Super Bowl to take all the sports headlines, NBC’s Game of the Week will have a super clash of their own as the combatants from this year’s Winter Classic face off once again. On February 6 at 12:30 p.m. ET it’ll be the Pittsburgh Penguins squaring off with the Washington Capitals from Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.
When these two met up last on the outdoor rink at Heniz Field, the Capitals were able to spoil the evening for the hometown Penguins coming away with a 3-1 win thanks to the efforts of unheralded forward Eric Fehr. In that game we also saw Pens captain Sidney Crosby get dinged up thanks to a collision with Capitals forward David Steckel. Will payback be on the mind of the Penguins as they square off with their heated rivals? Perhaps so, but at the least, we’ll see another intense game between these two top Eastern Conference squads.
The Capitals are led by captain Alex Ovechkin while the Penguins will hope to have their captain Sidney Crosby back on the ice in time to try and spoil the afternoon on Ovechkin’s home turf. It’s only fitting that two of the NHL’s most popular teams get to face each other on Super Sunday and give the NBC national audience a chance to revisit these two just a month after their epic showdown in front of 68,000-plus fans in Pittsburgh.
Doc Emrick, Ed Olczyk, Mike Milbury, and Pierre McGuire will all be on hand to bring you the action at 12:30 p.m. on NBC. With how these two teams are continuing to go through their own ups and downs in terms of success and injuries, the table is set for yet another dramatic reunion between these teams.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)