Jan 20, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
On a day that’s usually left off for the Super Bowl to take all the sports headlines, NBC’s Game of the Week will have a super clash of their own as the combatants from this year’s Winter Classic face off once again. On February 6 at 12:30 p.m. ET it’ll be the Pittsburgh Penguins squaring off with the Washington Capitals from Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.
When these two met up last on the outdoor rink at Heniz Field, the Capitals were able to spoil the evening for the hometown Penguins coming away with a 3-1 win thanks to the efforts of unheralded forward Eric Fehr. In that game we also saw Pens captain Sidney Crosby get dinged up thanks to a collision with Capitals forward David Steckel. Will payback be on the mind of the Penguins as they square off with their heated rivals? Perhaps so, but at the least, we’ll see another intense game between these two top Eastern Conference squads.
The Capitals are led by captain Alex Ovechkin while the Penguins will hope to have their captain Sidney Crosby back on the ice in time to try and spoil the afternoon on Ovechkin’s home turf. It’s only fitting that two of the NHL’s most popular teams get to face each other on Super Sunday and give the NBC national audience a chance to revisit these two just a month after their epic showdown in front of 68,000-plus fans in Pittsburgh.
Doc Emrick, Ed Olczyk, Mike Milbury, and Pierre McGuire will all be on hand to bring you the action at 12:30 p.m. on NBC. With how these two teams are continuing to go through their own ups and downs in terms of success and injuries, the table is set for yet another dramatic reunion between these teams.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 39
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 65
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 71
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)