Jan 20, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
February 20th is a big day for Canadians thanks to the 2011 Heritage Classic between the Calgary Flames and the Montreal Canadiens, but it should be a big one for American hockey fans too. That’s because the NHL and NBC will hold Hockey Day in America on that same date.
There will be some fun stuff on the side, but the most important matter is the hockey: the HDIA coverage will include four hockey games overall, with the first three being covered regionally followed by a national game between the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Here’s the schedule of events via an NBC Sports press release. (The three regional games are: Detroit @ Minnesota, Philadelphia @ NY Rangers and Washington @ Buffalo, with exact start times to be announced later.)
“Hockey Day in America” schedule (all times ET):
Noon “Hockey Day in America” coverage begins
12:35 p.m. First regional game begins
12:40 p.m. Second regional game begins
12:45 p.m. Third regional game begins
3:30 p.m. Pittsburgh at Chicago (national)
For those of you who might be concerned about missing one of those regional games (or some overlap, as unlikely as that would be), all four contests will be streamed live on NBC Sports.com. Here’s a little more information regarding the events from a press release.
With six hours of coverage (Noon-6 p.m. ET) – which will include four NHL games – hosted from McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Chicago’s Millennium Park, NBC Sports will tell the stories that demonstrate this country’s affinity for hockey – from hockey parents who chauffeur pee wees to practice before sunrise to the U.S. Pond Hockey Championships in Minnesota, played by amateurs amidst arctic temperatures, to ‘celebrity’ hockey played by actors and producers in Los Angeles to inner-city hockey in Washington, D.C. that has made a difference in the lives of countless children and young adults.
It should be a lot of fun for all and we will be certain to cover all the angles for you.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 3
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)