Jan 20, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
February 20th is a big day for Canadians thanks to the 2011 Heritage Classic between the Calgary Flames and the Montreal Canadiens, but it should be a big one for American hockey fans too. That’s because the NHL and NBC will hold Hockey Day in America on that same date.
There will be some fun stuff on the side, but the most important matter is the hockey: the HDIA coverage will include four hockey games overall, with the first three being covered regionally followed by a national game between the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins.
Here’s the schedule of events via an NBC Sports press release. (The three regional games are: Detroit @ Minnesota, Philadelphia @ NY Rangers and Washington @ Buffalo, with exact start times to be announced later.)
“Hockey Day in America” schedule (all times ET):
Noon “Hockey Day in America” coverage begins
12:35 p.m. First regional game begins
12:40 p.m. Second regional game begins
12:45 p.m. Third regional game begins
3:30 p.m. Pittsburgh at Chicago (national)
For those of you who might be concerned about missing one of those regional games (or some overlap, as unlikely as that would be), all four contests will be streamed live on NBC Sports.com. Here’s a little more information regarding the events from a press release.
With six hours of coverage (Noon-6 p.m. ET) – which will include four NHL games – hosted from McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Chicago’s Millennium Park, NBC Sports will tell the stories that demonstrate this country’s affinity for hockey – from hockey parents who chauffeur pee wees to practice before sunrise to the U.S. Pond Hockey Championships in Minnesota, played by amateurs amidst arctic temperatures, to ‘celebrity’ hockey played by actors and producers in Los Angeles to inner-city hockey in Washington, D.C. that has made a difference in the lives of countless children and young adults.
It should be a lot of fun for all and we will be certain to cover all the angles for you.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)