Jan 20, 2011, 1:11 AM EDT
Niklas Backstrom returned from a hip injury to do one of his favorite things tonight: beating the Calgary Flames. The Finnish netminder made 37 saves to shut out the Flames as two of tonight’s three games ended up being blowout-shutouts.
(To read a recap of the Rangers’ 7-0 win over the Maple Leafs and Marian Gaborik’s big night, click here. If you want to learn about R.J. Umberger’s even bigger night and the Blue Jackets come from behind win over the Panthers, go here.)
Backstrom was the big star of the game, but Martin Havlat wasn’t far behind. He scored two goals (including the winner) and also provided an assist in a little less than 15 minutes of ice time. Cal Clutterbuck, John Madden and Chuck Kobasew scored a goal and assist each while Kyle Brodziak had three helpers.
Meanwhile Miikka Kiprusoff allowed six goals on 24 shots.
The Wild now find themselves just a point behind the Chicago Blackhawks for eighth place in the Western Conference, with only one win (and one less overtime/shootout loss) being what separates the two teams. If they keep playing like this, they’ll give the defending champions and many other West teams in contention a serious run for their money.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)