Jan 20, 2011, 2:55 PM EDT
If you forced me to wager my financial future/collection of Garbage Pail Kids cards* on one future headline, I probably would have placed “Marco Sturm put on injured reserve” in the top five. Well, that predictable outcome came true, as the Kings report that they placed the regularly injured German on the IR today. They recalled Andrei Loktionov from the AHL to take his place.
* – Redundant, I know.
Don’t get me wrong, though. Just because the news is predictable doesn’t mean that anyone is happy about it.
The bottom line is that Sturm hasn’t been healthy with much regularity since the 2008-09 season when he only played in 19 games. He managed to play 76 games with Boston last season but missed a chunk of the playoffs and only played in 15 contests for Los Angeles so far in 2010-11.
We’ll let you know if Sturm ends up coming back this season, but you have to wonder if the winger will ever get healthy enough to play properly again.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)