Jan 20, 2011, 2:55 PM EST
If you forced me to wager my financial future/collection of Garbage Pail Kids cards* on one future headline, I probably would have placed “Marco Sturm put on injured reserve” in the top five. Well, that predictable outcome came true, as the Kings report that they placed the regularly injured German on the IR today. They recalled Andrei Loktionov from the AHL to take his place.
* – Redundant, I know.
Don’t get me wrong, though. Just because the news is predictable doesn’t mean that anyone is happy about it.
The bottom line is that Sturm hasn’t been healthy with much regularity since the 2008-09 season when he only played in 19 games. He managed to play 76 games with Boston last season but missed a chunk of the playoffs and only played in 15 contests for Los Angeles so far in 2010-11.
We’ll let you know if Sturm ends up coming back this season, but you have to wonder if the winger will ever get healthy enough to play properly again.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)