Jan 20, 2011, 2:55 PM EDT
If you forced me to wager my financial future/collection of Garbage Pail Kids cards* on one future headline, I probably would have placed “Marco Sturm put on injured reserve” in the top five. Well, that predictable outcome came true, as the Kings report that they placed the regularly injured German on the IR today. They recalled Andrei Loktionov from the AHL to take his place.
* – Redundant, I know.
Don’t get me wrong, though. Just because the news is predictable doesn’t mean that anyone is happy about it.
The bottom line is that Sturm hasn’t been healthy with much regularity since the 2008-09 season when he only played in 19 games. He managed to play 76 games with Boston last season but missed a chunk of the playoffs and only played in 15 contests for Los Angeles so far in 2010-11.
We’ll let you know if Sturm ends up coming back this season, but you have to wonder if the winger will ever get healthy enough to play properly again.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)