Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
It’s another day, another sickening hit that makes you wonder how the culture of taking liberties with opponents will ever be altered.
Wednesday’s suspension-worthy hit du jour featured Calgary Flames forward Curtis Glencross boarding Minnesota Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner. This hit seems like a more severe twin to the hit Alex Ovechkin delivered on Brian Campbell last season, which earned Ovechkin a suspension and put Soupy on the shelf for quite some time.
Much like Stoner’s defenselessness during the play, there’s no defending Glencross for this hit. It was unnecessary.
Michael Russo points out that Stoner seemed OK despite seemingly hurting his shoulder, although Russo also reminds us that symptoms can show up after the fact. The NHL seems to base the severity of his disciplinary punishments on how injured a victim ends up, which is pretty unfortunate because hits like these need to stop. (Still, it’s good to know that Stoner shouldn’t miss too much time.)
We’ll keep an eye on the situation, as Glencross has a suspension in his past (a three-game punishment in November 2009). You can check out the video below to decide for yourself whether he deserves to be suspended or not.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)