Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
It’s another day, another sickening hit that makes you wonder how the culture of taking liberties with opponents will ever be altered.
Wednesday’s suspension-worthy hit du jour featured Calgary Flames forward Curtis Glencross boarding Minnesota Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner. This hit seems like a more severe twin to the hit Alex Ovechkin delivered on Brian Campbell last season, which earned Ovechkin a suspension and put Soupy on the shelf for quite some time.
Much like Stoner’s defenselessness during the play, there’s no defending Glencross for this hit. It was unnecessary.
Michael Russo points out that Stoner seemed OK despite seemingly hurting his shoulder, although Russo also reminds us that symptoms can show up after the fact. The NHL seems to base the severity of his disciplinary punishments on how injured a victim ends up, which is pretty unfortunate because hits like these need to stop. (Still, it’s good to know that Stoner shouldn’t miss too much time.)
We’ll keep an eye on the situation, as Glencross has a suspension in his past (a three-game punishment in November 2009). You can check out the video below to decide for yourself whether he deserves to be suspended or not.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)