Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 AM EST
It’s another day, another sickening hit that makes you wonder how the culture of taking liberties with opponents will ever be altered.
Wednesday’s suspension-worthy hit du jour featured Calgary Flames forward Curtis Glencross boarding Minnesota Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner. This hit seems like a more severe twin to the hit Alex Ovechkin delivered on Brian Campbell last season, which earned Ovechkin a suspension and put Soupy on the shelf for quite some time.
Much like Stoner’s defenselessness during the play, there’s no defending Glencross for this hit. It was unnecessary.
Michael Russo points out that Stoner seemed OK despite seemingly hurting his shoulder, although Russo also reminds us that symptoms can show up after the fact. The NHL seems to base the severity of his disciplinary punishments on how injured a victim ends up, which is pretty unfortunate because hits like these need to stop. (Still, it’s good to know that Stoner shouldn’t miss too much time.)
We’ll keep an eye on the situation, as Glencross has a suspension in his past (a three-game punishment in November 2009). You can check out the video below to decide for yourself whether he deserves to be suspended or not.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)