Jan 20, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Surely NFL coaches hold the opinions of their closest peers – other coaches in the league – in the highest regards. Still, every now and then, coaches in other sports will converse with each other – whether it’s a matter of discussing motivational strategies or just a nice pat on the back.
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville received a “good luck” phone call for Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith when the team made an impressive run to the Stanley Cup finals, so it only makes sense that Coach Q returned the favor.
It will be a big sports day in Chicago on Sunday, as the Blackhawks will face the Philadelphia Flyers for the first time since their Cup finals series shortly before the Bears take on the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game. Quenneville said he was glad to return the favor with an encouraging phone call to Smith and wants to make sure he can watch the football game once the Flyers-Hawks game concludes.
“I exchanged messages with Lovie there,” Quenneville said after practice on Thursday. “We’re rooting for each other.
“I just appreciated the phone call last year and I wished him good luck. We’re behind him and rooting for them.”
The Hawks will play the team they beat for the Stanley Cup — the Philadelphia Flyers — just hours before the Bears take on the Packers.
“What a game, what a game,” Quenneville said. “Perfect time. Our game ends and we get to watch it. I think it’s going be very close, very close.”
The Hawks play the Flyers at 11:30 a.m. CT. The Bears and Packers kick off at 2 p.m. A short “open locker room” for the media after the game was suggested, in order for Quenneville to get to a television.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)