Jan 20, 2011, 12:30 AM EST
For most of the world, Wednesday was just another Hump Day in a long series of easy-to-forget evenings. Chances are pretty good that this isn’t just another day for Columbus Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger, though.
In the span of one night, Umberger scored the overtime game-winning goal in the Blue Jackets’ 3-2 comeback win against the Florida Panthers – but most importantly – might also become a dad.
The Associated Press reports that Umberger left quickly after the game concluded to be with his wife, who is reportedly expected to give birth “at any time.” Congratulations in advance to the Umberger family. Hopefully having a child in his life won’t affect R.J. like it did Tracy McGrady.
New dad in the making Umberger was the first star (and MVND?*) of the game, but here’s a quick look at the games a whole.
The Panthers jumped off to a 2-0 lead only to lose this one, much like they did against the Atlanta Thrashers earlier this week (the Thrashers ended up winning that game as well, taking a shootout win).
David Booth and Cory Stillman scored those first two Panthers goals. Fedor Tyutin scored late in the first and Antoine Vermette scored with less than one minute remaining in the third to make way for Umberger’s OT game-winner. Steve Mason earned the win after stopping 29 out of 31 shots, edging Tomas Vokoun, who made 35 out of 38 saves.
* -Most Valuable New Dad.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)