Jan 20, 2011, 12:30 AM EDT
For most of the world, Wednesday was just another Hump Day in a long series of easy-to-forget evenings. Chances are pretty good that this isn’t just another day for Columbus Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger, though.
In the span of one night, Umberger scored the overtime game-winning goal in the Blue Jackets’ 3-2 comeback win against the Florida Panthers – but most importantly – might also become a dad.
The Associated Press reports that Umberger left quickly after the game concluded to be with his wife, who is reportedly expected to give birth “at any time.” Congratulations in advance to the Umberger family. Hopefully having a child in his life won’t affect R.J. like it did Tracy McGrady.
New dad in the making Umberger was the first star (and MVND?*) of the game, but here’s a quick look at the games a whole.
The Panthers jumped off to a 2-0 lead only to lose this one, much like they did against the Atlanta Thrashers earlier this week (the Thrashers ended up winning that game as well, taking a shootout win).
David Booth and Cory Stillman scored those first two Panthers goals. Fedor Tyutin scored late in the first and Antoine Vermette scored with less than one minute remaining in the third to make way for Umberger’s OT game-winner. Steve Mason earned the win after stopping 29 out of 31 shots, edging Tomas Vokoun, who made 35 out of 38 saves.
* -Most Valuable New Dad.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)