Jan 20, 2011, 12:30 AM EDT
For most of the world, Wednesday was just another Hump Day in a long series of easy-to-forget evenings. Chances are pretty good that this isn’t just another day for Columbus Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger, though.
In the span of one night, Umberger scored the overtime game-winning goal in the Blue Jackets’ 3-2 comeback win against the Florida Panthers – but most importantly – might also become a dad.
The Associated Press reports that Umberger left quickly after the game concluded to be with his wife, who is reportedly expected to give birth “at any time.” Congratulations in advance to the Umberger family. Hopefully having a child in his life won’t affect R.J. like it did Tracy McGrady.
New dad in the making Umberger was the first star (and MVND?*) of the game, but here’s a quick look at the games a whole.
The Panthers jumped off to a 2-0 lead only to lose this one, much like they did against the Atlanta Thrashers earlier this week (the Thrashers ended up winning that game as well, taking a shootout win).
David Booth and Cory Stillman scored those first two Panthers goals. Fedor Tyutin scored late in the first and Antoine Vermette scored with less than one minute remaining in the third to make way for Umberger’s OT game-winner. Steve Mason earned the win after stopping 29 out of 31 shots, edging Tomas Vokoun, who made 35 out of 38 saves.
* -Most Valuable New Dad.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)