Jan 20, 2011, 8:52 PM EST
Usually when a player is knocked out for the remainder of the season it’s generally because of injuries to knees, shoulders, or concussions. In the case of Tomas Fleischmann, his problem is a bit more terrifying.
Fleischmann will miss the rest of the season with a pulmonary embolism. If you’re not immediately aware of what that is, we don’t blame you as we’re not medical students around here. A pulmonary embolism occurs when one or more arteries in the lungs becomes blocked.
The Avs provided this update via press release.
“The nature of his condition requires him to be on blood thinners for several months and he will be unable to play hockey during this time,” said Avalanche team physician Dr. David Mellman. “Tomas’ condition was discovered this afternoon when he was evaluated for shortness of breath.”
Colorado acquired Fleischmann earlier this season from the Capitals in exchange for Scott Hannan. Fleischmann’s had instant success in Denver scoring eight goals and 13 assists in 22 games since joining the Avs. Comparing that to what he did in Washington this season (4-6-10 in 23 games) his offense has been a revelation. Now, the Avs will have to make due without him for the rest of the year and hope that their offense can continue clicking at a high rate.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)