Jan 20, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
Usually when a player is knocked out for the remainder of the season it’s generally because of injuries to knees, shoulders, or concussions. In the case of Tomas Fleischmann, his problem is a bit more terrifying.
Fleischmann will miss the rest of the season with a pulmonary embolism. If you’re not immediately aware of what that is, we don’t blame you as we’re not medical students around here. A pulmonary embolism occurs when one or more arteries in the lungs becomes blocked.
The Avs provided this update via press release.
“The nature of his condition requires him to be on blood thinners for several months and he will be unable to play hockey during this time,” said Avalanche team physician Dr. David Mellman. “Tomas’ condition was discovered this afternoon when he was evaluated for shortness of breath.”
Colorado acquired Fleischmann earlier this season from the Capitals in exchange for Scott Hannan. Fleischmann’s had instant success in Denver scoring eight goals and 13 assists in 22 games since joining the Avs. Comparing that to what he did in Washington this season (4-6-10 in 23 games) his offense has been a revelation. Now, the Avs will have to make due without him for the rest of the year and hope that their offense can continue clicking at a high rate.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)