Jan 20, 2011, 8:52 PM EST
Usually when a player is knocked out for the remainder of the season it’s generally because of injuries to knees, shoulders, or concussions. In the case of Tomas Fleischmann, his problem is a bit more terrifying.
Fleischmann will miss the rest of the season with a pulmonary embolism. If you’re not immediately aware of what that is, we don’t blame you as we’re not medical students around here. A pulmonary embolism occurs when one or more arteries in the lungs becomes blocked.
The Avs provided this update via press release.
“The nature of his condition requires him to be on blood thinners for several months and he will be unable to play hockey during this time,” said Avalanche team physician Dr. David Mellman. “Tomas’ condition was discovered this afternoon when he was evaluated for shortness of breath.”
Colorado acquired Fleischmann earlier this season from the Capitals in exchange for Scott Hannan. Fleischmann’s had instant success in Denver scoring eight goals and 13 assists in 22 games since joining the Avs. Comparing that to what he did in Washington this season (4-6-10 in 23 games) his offense has been a revelation. Now, the Avs will have to make due without him for the rest of the year and hope that their offense can continue clicking at a high rate.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)