Jan 20, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
Usually when a player is knocked out for the remainder of the season it’s generally because of injuries to knees, shoulders, or concussions. In the case of Tomas Fleischmann, his problem is a bit more terrifying.
Fleischmann will miss the rest of the season with a pulmonary embolism. If you’re not immediately aware of what that is, we don’t blame you as we’re not medical students around here. A pulmonary embolism occurs when one or more arteries in the lungs becomes blocked.
The Avs provided this update via press release.
“The nature of his condition requires him to be on blood thinners for several months and he will be unable to play hockey during this time,” said Avalanche team physician Dr. David Mellman. “Tomas’ condition was discovered this afternoon when he was evaluated for shortness of breath.”
Colorado acquired Fleischmann earlier this season from the Capitals in exchange for Scott Hannan. Fleischmann’s had instant success in Denver scoring eight goals and 13 assists in 22 games since joining the Avs. Comparing that to what he did in Washington this season (4-6-10 in 23 games) his offense has been a revelation. Now, the Avs will have to make due without him for the rest of the year and hope that their offense can continue clicking at a high rate.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)