Jan 20, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
Usually when a player is knocked out for the remainder of the season it’s generally because of injuries to knees, shoulders, or concussions. In the case of Tomas Fleischmann, his problem is a bit more terrifying.
Fleischmann will miss the rest of the season with a pulmonary embolism. If you’re not immediately aware of what that is, we don’t blame you as we’re not medical students around here. A pulmonary embolism occurs when one or more arteries in the lungs becomes blocked.
The Avs provided this update via press release.
“The nature of his condition requires him to be on blood thinners for several months and he will be unable to play hockey during this time,” said Avalanche team physician Dr. David Mellman. “Tomas’ condition was discovered this afternoon when he was evaluated for shortness of breath.”
Colorado acquired Fleischmann earlier this season from the Capitals in exchange for Scott Hannan. Fleischmann’s had instant success in Denver scoring eight goals and 13 assists in 22 games since joining the Avs. Comparing that to what he did in Washington this season (4-6-10 in 23 games) his offense has been a revelation. Now, the Avs will have to make due without him for the rest of the year and hope that their offense can continue clicking at a high rate.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)