Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
While Howard was out, Joey MacDonald took the reins as the starter while Thomas McCollum was called up to back him up. McCollum was not immune from the Red Wings injury bug as he suffered a broken finger in practice leading Howard to be forced into backing up MacDonald last night in Detroit’s 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh. McCollum was sent back to the AHL today.
Joey MacDonald, while a serviceable part-time backup goalie is by no means meant to be employed as a temporary starting goalie and last night’s loss to Pittsburgh showed his weaknesses. With Howard back and healthy, the Wings are hoping he can stay that way until Chris Osgood returns from injury to be his backup once again. The Wings are dealing with many injuries now and, at the least, getting steady goaltending is necessary for Detroit to stay on top of things in the Central Division.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 55
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12