Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
While Howard was out, Joey MacDonald took the reins as the starter while Thomas McCollum was called up to back him up. McCollum was not immune from the Red Wings injury bug as he suffered a broken finger in practice leading Howard to be forced into backing up MacDonald last night in Detroit’s 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh. McCollum was sent back to the AHL today.
Joey MacDonald, while a serviceable part-time backup goalie is by no means meant to be employed as a temporary starting goalie and last night’s loss to Pittsburgh showed his weaknesses. With Howard back and healthy, the Wings are hoping he can stay that way until Chris Osgood returns from injury to be his backup once again. The Wings are dealing with many injuries now and, at the least, getting steady goaltending is necessary for Detroit to stay on top of things in the Central Division.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2