Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
While Howard was out, Joey MacDonald took the reins as the starter while Thomas McCollum was called up to back him up. McCollum was not immune from the Red Wings injury bug as he suffered a broken finger in practice leading Howard to be forced into backing up MacDonald last night in Detroit’s 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh. McCollum was sent back to the AHL today.
Joey MacDonald, while a serviceable part-time backup goalie is by no means meant to be employed as a temporary starting goalie and last night’s loss to Pittsburgh showed his weaknesses. With Howard back and healthy, the Wings are hoping he can stay that way until Chris Osgood returns from injury to be his backup once again. The Wings are dealing with many injuries now and, at the least, getting steady goaltending is necessary for Detroit to stay on top of things in the Central Division.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4