Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
While Howard was out, Joey MacDonald took the reins as the starter while Thomas McCollum was called up to back him up. McCollum was not immune from the Red Wings injury bug as he suffered a broken finger in practice leading Howard to be forced into backing up MacDonald last night in Detroit’s 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh. McCollum was sent back to the AHL today.
Joey MacDonald, while a serviceable part-time backup goalie is by no means meant to be employed as a temporary starting goalie and last night’s loss to Pittsburgh showed his weaknesses. With Howard back and healthy, the Wings are hoping he can stay that way until Chris Osgood returns from injury to be his backup once again. The Wings are dealing with many injuries now and, at the least, getting steady goaltending is necessary for Detroit to stay on top of things in the Central Division.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54