Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
While Howard was out, Joey MacDonald took the reins as the starter while Thomas McCollum was called up to back him up. McCollum was not immune from the Red Wings injury bug as he suffered a broken finger in practice leading Howard to be forced into backing up MacDonald last night in Detroit’s 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh. McCollum was sent back to the AHL today.
Joey MacDonald, while a serviceable part-time backup goalie is by no means meant to be employed as a temporary starting goalie and last night’s loss to Pittsburgh showed his weaknesses. With Howard back and healthy, the Wings are hoping he can stay that way until Chris Osgood returns from injury to be his backup once again. The Wings are dealing with many injuries now and, at the least, getting steady goaltending is necessary for Detroit to stay on top of things in the Central Division.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17