Jan 19, 2011, 10:45 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We know that shootouts aren’t the greatest thing in the world. They’re an abysmal way to decide a game that’s gone on for 65 minutes and the way the points are doled out makes the standings seem inflated. All that aside, it does create some fun theater on occasion.
Last night with Tampa Bay and Columbus locked up at 2-2, the shootout was a necessary evil to decide the game. With neither team having scored yet, Tampa Bay’s Adam Hall got his chance to score on Mathieu Garon. Hall thought he had Garon deked out of his skates and beaten. Garon proved that every piece of equipment a goalie has can come in handy making a diving stop along the goal line to rob Hall.
The Lightning did go on to win in the shootout thanks to Ryan Malone, but it would’ve been sooner if not for Garon’s great save on Hall.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 12
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 36
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)