Jan 19, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We know that shootouts aren’t the greatest thing in the world. They’re an abysmal way to decide a game that’s gone on for 65 minutes and the way the points are doled out makes the standings seem inflated. All that aside, it does create some fun theater on occasion.
Last night with Tampa Bay and Columbus locked up at 2-2, the shootout was a necessary evil to decide the game. With neither team having scored yet, Tampa Bay’s Adam Hall got his chance to score on Mathieu Garon. Hall thought he had Garon deked out of his skates and beaten. Garon proved that every piece of equipment a goalie has can come in handy making a diving stop along the goal line to rob Hall.
The Lightning did go on to win in the shootout thanks to Ryan Malone, but it would’ve been sooner if not for Garon’s great save on Hall.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)