Jan 19, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We know that shootouts aren’t the greatest thing in the world. They’re an abysmal way to decide a game that’s gone on for 65 minutes and the way the points are doled out makes the standings seem inflated. All that aside, it does create some fun theater on occasion.
Last night with Tampa Bay and Columbus locked up at 2-2, the shootout was a necessary evil to decide the game. With neither team having scored yet, Tampa Bay’s Adam Hall got his chance to score on Mathieu Garon. Hall thought he had Garon deked out of his skates and beaten. Garon proved that every piece of equipment a goalie has can come in handy making a diving stop along the goal line to rob Hall.
The Lightning did go on to win in the shootout thanks to Ryan Malone, but it would’ve been sooner if not for Garon’s great save on Hall.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20