Jan 19, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We know that shootouts aren’t the greatest thing in the world. They’re an abysmal way to decide a game that’s gone on for 65 minutes and the way the points are doled out makes the standings seem inflated. All that aside, it does create some fun theater on occasion.
Last night with Tampa Bay and Columbus locked up at 2-2, the shootout was a necessary evil to decide the game. With neither team having scored yet, Tampa Bay’s Adam Hall got his chance to score on Mathieu Garon. Hall thought he had Garon deked out of his skates and beaten. Garon proved that every piece of equipment a goalie has can come in handy making a diving stop along the goal line to rob Hall.
The Lightning did go on to win in the shootout thanks to Ryan Malone, but it would’ve been sooner if not for Garon’s great save on Hall.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)