Jan 19, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
The injury bug sweeping through the Rangers locker room isn’t done spreading misery. The team’s leading scorer, Brandon Dubinsky, will miss the next 3-4 weeks with a stress fracture in his left fibula.
Dubinsky’s 17 goals and 21 assists lead the team in both categories and his 38 points have been crucial to what little offensive success the Rangers have seen this year. The team’s woeful offensive performance this season can be attributed to a less-than stellar season out of Marian Gaborik as well as to injuries to Vinny Prospal, Ryan Callahan, and Alexander Frolov.
The Rangers are currently in the middle of the pack in the NHL in goals scored but with Dubinsky being their one consistent performer, the time for Marian Gaborik to step his game up has never been higher. Gaborik has 11 goals and 13 assists this year and for a former 40-goal scorer, those numbers are terrible, especially on a team that was going to be lacking offense as it was. Rookie Derek Stepan has stepped in and played very well for New York, but getting Gaborik going and filling the net is a must-have now for the Rangers.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)