Jan 19, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
The injury bug sweeping through the Rangers locker room isn’t done spreading misery. The team’s leading scorer, Brandon Dubinsky, will miss the next 3-4 weeks with a stress fracture in his left fibula.
Dubinsky’s 17 goals and 21 assists lead the team in both categories and his 38 points have been crucial to what little offensive success the Rangers have seen this year. The team’s woeful offensive performance this season can be attributed to a less-than stellar season out of Marian Gaborik as well as to injuries to Vinny Prospal, Ryan Callahan, and Alexander Frolov.
The Rangers are currently in the middle of the pack in the NHL in goals scored but with Dubinsky being their one consistent performer, the time for Marian Gaborik to step his game up has never been higher. Gaborik has 11 goals and 13 assists this year and for a former 40-goal scorer, those numbers are terrible, especially on a team that was going to be lacking offense as it was. Rookie Derek Stepan has stepped in and played very well for New York, but getting Gaborik going and filling the net is a must-have now for the Rangers.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)