Jan 19, 2011, 9:18 PM EST
Good news for Minnesota Wild forward Brad Staubitz and coach Todd Richards’ wallet: Michael Russo reports that the NHL decided to rescind an instigator penalty handed to the rough and tumble forward late in the team’s win against the Edmonton Oilers last night.
That means that Staubitz will not be forced to sit out tonight’s game against the Calgary Flames because of an automatic suspension and Richards won’t need to pay a $10,000 fine for placing him on the ice in a late game situation.
Russo explains that the league rescinded the penalty for two reasons. The first reason is that the rule was intended to stop teams from sending out goons to cause havoc in the late stages of games that are clearly a lost cause, so the spirit of the rule doesn’t really apply considering the fact that Minnesota was up 4-1. Russo also points out the fact that the referees could have done more about some on-ice altercations that happened before Staubitz fought J-F Jacques.
Staubitz isn’t a crucial player to Minnesota, but it’s nice to hear that he will be rightfully allowed to play in the game. Say what you will about some of the NHL’s policies, at least the league can occasionally admit when officials were wrong.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)