Jan 19, 2011, 9:18 PM EST
Good news for Minnesota Wild forward Brad Staubitz and coach Todd Richards’ wallet: Michael Russo reports that the NHL decided to rescind an instigator penalty handed to the rough and tumble forward late in the team’s win against the Edmonton Oilers last night.
That means that Staubitz will not be forced to sit out tonight’s game against the Calgary Flames because of an automatic suspension and Richards won’t need to pay a $10,000 fine for placing him on the ice in a late game situation.
Russo explains that the league rescinded the penalty for two reasons. The first reason is that the rule was intended to stop teams from sending out goons to cause havoc in the late stages of games that are clearly a lost cause, so the spirit of the rule doesn’t really apply considering the fact that Minnesota was up 4-1. Russo also points out the fact that the referees could have done more about some on-ice altercations that happened before Staubitz fought J-F Jacques.
Staubitz isn’t a crucial player to Minnesota, but it’s nice to hear that he will be rightfully allowed to play in the game. Say what you will about some of the NHL’s policies, at least the league can occasionally admit when officials were wrong.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 12
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 9
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)