Jan 19, 2011, 9:18 PM EDT
Good news for Minnesota Wild forward Brad Staubitz and coach Todd Richards’ wallet: Michael Russo reports that the NHL decided to rescind an instigator penalty handed to the rough and tumble forward late in the team’s win against the Edmonton Oilers last night.
That means that Staubitz will not be forced to sit out tonight’s game against the Calgary Flames because of an automatic suspension and Richards won’t need to pay a $10,000 fine for placing him on the ice in a late game situation.
Russo explains that the league rescinded the penalty for two reasons. The first reason is that the rule was intended to stop teams from sending out goons to cause havoc in the late stages of games that are clearly a lost cause, so the spirit of the rule doesn’t really apply considering the fact that Minnesota was up 4-1. Russo also points out the fact that the referees could have done more about some on-ice altercations that happened before Staubitz fought J-F Jacques.
Staubitz isn’t a crucial player to Minnesota, but it’s nice to hear that he will be rightfully allowed to play in the game. Say what you will about some of the NHL’s policies, at least the league can occasionally admit when officials were wrong.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)