Jan 19, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
Each week here at ProHockeyTalk, NHL on NBC’s Mike Milbury gives us his take on three hot topics of discussion around the league. We’re happy to have Mike join us and give us his unique and fiery opinions on what’s going on in the NHL.
There were rumors this week about Sidney Crosby boycotting the All-Star Game over the NHL’s handling of shots to the head. Does Sidney Crosby have a beef with the league over how they’re handling Rule 48?
In my opinion, he’s got no beef.
I think Colin Campbell’s been much more active. I think they’ve been searching out vulnerable hits and I don’t like it. I think it’s gone too far.
But I don’t think any hit is going without scrutiny right now and the league and Colin Campbell have been much more active in these things than I can recall.
Ales Hemsky left last night’s game with a concussion and he’s apparently been playing with one for up to six games. Are teams getting too reckless with how to handle things or is it just because concussions are so sneaky teams don’t know how to handle them?
That’s exactly right. There’s not a total grasp of how these things develop or how severe they are. It’s an ongoing medical investigation in how to handle these concussions. Even the guys who suffered them themselves aren’t sure how these things operate. I think everybody is more aware than ever of what the challenges are in dealing with concussions and there’s even greater awareness.
Sometimes guys will want to play and go out there and suck it up and God bless them for wanting to do it. Hopefully for the most part cooler heads will prevail and people get ready and pass the appropriate tests to get back into action. I don’t think there’s any culpability for Edmonton in any way, shape, or form.
Oh please. This is so ridiculous. I mean, he could’ve hit him harder with a purse. Have a little gamesmanship in this thing. We don’t have to make it all milquetoast. Let’s let a little personality come out once in a while. If the referees caught it, they should’ve given him a two-minute minor for roughing and they all could’ve had a good laugh about it after the game. To start seeking this stuff out and to try to curtail this stuff is just nuts.
Hey these guys are 25, 30, 32 years-old whatever it is that they are and they’re all charged up to play a game, a physical game, and they’re going to cross some lines. That was such a ridiculous ruling and such a small violation of of what was going on I think they could’ve just looked the other way. They could have a laugh about it and move along.
Now if it’s a full-fledged punch in the face or a big hit to the head that’s another story. But let’s not try to be all goody-two-shoes here that’s traditionally why I get upset about the way the league handles some of these things. Just go watch a soccer game or something and stop reviewing everything to the nanosecond of every game. Don’t need it, don’t want it.
Got a question you’d like for us to ask Mike? Leave one for us in the comments or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to pass it along and share it with you in the future.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)