Jan 19, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
Three days after New York Rangers coach John Tortorella decided to bench star forward Marian Gaborik, the Slovakian sniper responded with an outstanding four-goal, one-assist performance to help the team beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 7-0.
Gaborik broke an eight-game goal drought in a big way, scoring twice in the first and twice in the second while he also earned an assist on a Brian Boyle power-play goal. This is the third time the team hit the seven goal mark, the squad’s 2010-11 season-high.
It’s certainly a promising sign for the team as they cope with the painful loss of Brandon Dubinsky.
Henrik Lundqvist earned a relatively easy shutout, only needing to set aside 21 shots while the Rangers dominated the Leafs. Both Jonas Gustavsson and Jean-Sebastien Giguere appeared in the game, with Gustavsson allowing six goals on 25 shots while Giguere allowed one goal on three.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control