Jan 19, 2011, 11:47 AM EST
It’s been a mostly frustrating season for the Islanders and one of the original sources of that frustration is making his return to the lineup. Forward Kyle Okposo has missed all of this season thanks to a shoulder injury but he’ll be back in the Islanders lineup tomorrow night at home against the Capitals.
There was a lot of hope surrounding Okposo heading into this season. He was a player some circled to have a breakout season and at 22 years-old is one of the cornerstones of the Islanders future. His injury along with an injury to defenseman Mark Streit before the season even began set the tone that this year would be another frustrating one on Long Island.
Their injuries followed by injuries to Mike Mottau and the on-and-off status of Rick DiPietro have all piled up to make this year a pretty miserable one for Islanders faithful. While the Isles are essentially out of the playoff hunt in the Eastern Conference, a thunderous comeback from Okposo would be the sort of thing to inspire hope. John Tavares has been playing outstanding hockey and to get him one of his best linemates might help show that things aren’t all terrible for the Islanders.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)