Jan 19, 2011, 11:47 AM EDT
It’s been a mostly frustrating season for the Islanders and one of the original sources of that frustration is making his return to the lineup. Forward Kyle Okposo has missed all of this season thanks to a shoulder injury but he’ll be back in the Islanders lineup tomorrow night at home against the Capitals.
There was a lot of hope surrounding Okposo heading into this season. He was a player some circled to have a breakout season and at 22 years-old is one of the cornerstones of the Islanders future. His injury along with an injury to defenseman Mark Streit before the season even began set the tone that this year would be another frustrating one on Long Island.
Their injuries followed by injuries to Mike Mottau and the on-and-off status of Rick DiPietro have all piled up to make this year a pretty miserable one for Islanders faithful. While the Isles are essentially out of the playoff hunt in the Eastern Conference, a thunderous comeback from Okposo would be the sort of thing to inspire hope. John Tavares has been playing outstanding hockey and to get him one of his best linemates might help show that things aren’t all terrible for the Islanders.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)