Jan 19, 2011, 11:47 AM EST
It’s been a mostly frustrating season for the Islanders and one of the original sources of that frustration is making his return to the lineup. Forward Kyle Okposo has missed all of this season thanks to a shoulder injury but he’ll be back in the Islanders lineup tomorrow night at home against the Capitals.
There was a lot of hope surrounding Okposo heading into this season. He was a player some circled to have a breakout season and at 22 years-old is one of the cornerstones of the Islanders future. His injury along with an injury to defenseman Mark Streit before the season even began set the tone that this year would be another frustrating one on Long Island.
Their injuries followed by injuries to Mike Mottau and the on-and-off status of Rick DiPietro have all piled up to make this year a pretty miserable one for Islanders faithful. While the Isles are essentially out of the playoff hunt in the Eastern Conference, a thunderous comeback from Okposo would be the sort of thing to inspire hope. John Tavares has been playing outstanding hockey and to get him one of his best linemates might help show that things aren’t all terrible for the Islanders.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 55
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12