Jan 19, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There may not be a player more polarizing in the NHL than Corey Perry. Ducks fans and fans of agitating forwards adore him, everyone else seems to find him irascible and highly unlikable and make public proclamations about how much they don’t like him. To get people to dislike you that much you have to be doing something right and last night fans in Ottawa got a taste of what the good side of Corey Perry is capable of.
With no score and under six minutes to go in the first, the Ducks dug into the Senators zone and with the puck heading towards the blue line, Bobby Ryan gathered it and fired it towards the net. There, Corey Perry was all alone in front and tried to stuff home the rebound. Erik Karlsson crashed back towards the net to take Perry out, but rather than go down to the ice without a chance, he followed the loose puck and put in an acrobatic backhand past a sprawled out Brian Elliott. The goal was Perry’s 24th of the year.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 20
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)